DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Spragless Convertor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spragless Convertor
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
What are the typical symptoms of a failing or failed spragless convertor? I had an issue over the weekend where car fell off about 5 numbers and 3 mile an hour in the 1/8 mile and transmission built some significant heat. Trans was fresh, convertor is several years old.

Posts: 205 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning toward a transmission problem.
Not much to go wrong with a spragless, unless debris got into it.
You mention the trans being fresh, I'm betting it's got a pack clearance issue causing drag / loss of ET / excessive heat.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1798 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
The only time I’ve had one fail, it made a perfectly good pass one time, and the next it would maybe stall 2k RPM. There was no slow decline. I had run this converter in my dragster for like 15 years.

When I sent it in, they said it was completely beyond repair. When trying to explain the damage to me, the guy said, “Have you ever put an apple in a blender?”

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3215 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If the stator was cast from aluminum, it can do as described by Lenny. Also, bearing failure or the stamped turbine/pump fins failing in some way are about equally as likely to happen. While spragless converters do eliminate a major possible point of failure, they still can make a mess of themselves.

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 40 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Found the problem. I've been running the ringless shaft with an "O" Ringed stator support and one of the rings has disappeared. The transmission internals all looked good, so I guess I'll upgrade the pump and shaft and send converter in for good measure.

Posts: 205 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post