DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    vibration on decel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

vibration on decel
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
I've been chasing a vibration on decel all summer. I've checked everything I could think of and no luck. I changed transmissions over last winter and had a wishbone installed in the car. I can't honestly say that it was there from the 1st hit of the season but definitely most of the season. Ring and pinion gave up with 1 week left in my season, the ring gear bolts actually fell out. I was thinking that was the issue I had been chasing. New center section installed and vibration is still there. It happens right when I let out and only lasts a split second but can be pretty aggressive. I've checked driveshaft/u-joints, 4 link, and I can't find it.
Driveshaft pulls out 5/8" from fully pushed in the trans.
Any ideas on what could cause this?

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
I've been chasing a vibration on decel all summer. I've checked everything I could think of and no luck. I changed transmissions over last winter and had a wishbone installed in the car. I can't honestly say that it was there from the 1st hit of the season but definitely most of the season. Ring and pinion gave up with 1 week left in my season, the ring gear bolts actually fell out. I was thinking that was the issue I had been chasing. New center section installed and vibration is still there. It happens right when I let out and only lasts a split second but can be pretty aggressive. I've checked driveshaft/u-joints, 4 link, and I can't find it.
Driveshaft pulls out 5/8" from fully pushed in the trans.
Any ideas on what could cause this?

What's your pinon angle?

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
-1.25-1.5* Well, at least that's where I had set it. I did have new 4 link hardware installed when they build the wishbone. I assumed they didn't change anything but never thought to check I guess.

I actually may have checked it because I had to re-set the preload but not sure if I checked it or not, but good place to look.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: inferno camaro,

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Take your shaft to Patterson Driveline & Machine and see what's up.
Did you disassemble the u-joints to check them??

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Some good stuff here...
https://www.slideserve.com/bina/driveshaft-assemblies

I suspect you might have a joint Brinnelling, (slide 37) or have changed the operating angle (slides 16-18) or possible the tube has twisted enough to cause a phase problem. ??

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I have experienced a vibration sorta like you describe 3 times...twice when the crankshaft broke, and once while a rod exited the pan.... Laughing Hard

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No I didn't take the joints out to check them. I just remover the driveshaft and looked at them. I have lost a crankshaft before and this feels nothing like that did thankfully Smile

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had this problem on a dragster, usually don't feel it during acceleration but in the shutdown area it comes really bad. My case i've seen the same cause, wheels out of balance. Front runners were out of balance the first time didn't take much weight to correct, second time i had 1 rear tire that took a bunch of weight to balance, when i installed them I didn't balance at all and they were bead locks so it was a relatively easy test. I figured i'd give not balancing a shot. Well that didn't work. Removed and checked the rears, found one tire way out of balance. De-mounted the tire spun it a quarter turn and re-mounted, all it did was move the location of where the 8 or so ounces needed to be on the wheel. Vibration went away after that balancing. I was pretty concerned with all that weight but things are much smoother now.

All of my balancing is done on a bubble balancer, old school version that uses oil as the damper, much better than the el cheapo version from harbor freight, i threw that one away.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I did put new tires on in June and not sure if it was doing it before that or not honestly. If I don't find anything this winter I'll throw my spares on and try it. I will also check my balance but normally if it's off my car shakes like crazy going down track.

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Had this problem on a dragster, usually don't feel it during acceleration but in the shutdown area it comes really bad. My case i've seen the same cause, wheels out of balance. Front runners were out of balance the first time didn't take much weight to correct, second time i had 1 rear tire that took a bunch of weight to balance, when i installed them I didn't balance at all and they were bead locks so it was a relatively easy test. I figured i'd give not balancing a shot. Well that didn't work. Removed and checked the rears, found one tire way out of balance. De-mounted the tire spun it a quarter turn and re-mounted, all it did was move the location of where the 8 or so ounces needed to be on the wheel. Vibration went away after that balancing. I was pretty concerned with all that weight but things are much smoother now.

All of my balancing is done on a bubble balancer, old school version that uses oil as the damper, much better than the el cheapo version from harbor freight, i threw that one away.

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I experienced a similar situation but it was not only on deceleration. Vibration that kept getting worse. I almost dropped out of a race because I thought something was going to break. I decided to put the rear up on stands and run the wheel speed up. The vibration was there. Next I took the wheels off one at the time and tested again. With both wheels off there was no vibration. Root cause was the tires turning on the rims. I run radials without screws. This was an easy test. Probably a little dangerous, but easy and it helped me find the problem quickly.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Usually if things are going well during a run, we are accelerating through critical vibration speeds really quickly when we are under power. If you feel a vibration caused by a tire out of balance during acceleration, it usually comes and goes within a second or less. In the shutdown and the car is decelerating, we can hang out at those critical speeds for longer periods of time.

For me it seemed about mid-way through the shutdown, if i had to guess 80 ish mph, racing 1/8 mile at 150 MPH trap speed, LONG shutdown area at this particular track, and coast past 1/4 mile stripe, then ease onto the brakes and I'd get the vibration.

My vote is tires out of balance.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I really hope that is the issue. A nice easy fix is what I like.

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Usually if things are going well during a run, we are accelerating through critical vibration speeds really quickly when we are under power. If you feel a vibration caused by a tire out of balance during acceleration, it usually comes and goes within a second or less. In the shutdown and the car is decelerating, we can hang out at those critical speeds for longer periods of time.

For me it seemed about mid-way through the shutdown, if i had to guess 80 ish mph, racing 1/8 mile at 150 MPH trap speed, LONG shutdown area at this particular track, and coast past 1/4 mile stripe, then ease onto the brakes and I'd get the vibration.

My vote is tires out of balance.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Always ran Goodyear. Never a problem. The derision was to run a tire called a high growth D2A compound. At about 102 runs it shook on decel. Come to find out, the sidewalls gave up the ghost.

Put on another set no shake till 100 runs. Went to a stiff sidewall i believe 2052. Great tire. Stiff sidewall too. not one problem.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses, here is to hoping it's a tire issue.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
Check the bushing in the trans tail shaft.

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It's a roller tail shaft, it feels the same as my other trans but I didn't pull the tail and actually look at it. Should I?

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Yeager:

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a roller tail shaft, it feels the same as my other trans but I didn't pull the tail and actually look at it. Should I?

quote:

I'd check it just in case. I knocked a standard bearing out of mine and it would vibrate. Not sure on rollers.

Good Luck!

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, I'll pull the tail just to be sure. Driveshaft is already out checking other things so easy to pop it off.

The wishbone has a very slight amount of play in it, chassis guy doesn't think that would do it but redoing it just to be sure.

quote:
quote:

quote:

I'd check it just in case. I knocked a standard bearing out of mine and it would vibrate. Not sure on rollers.

Good Luck!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
On my dragster it was the front tires. I wanted new front wheels so I bit the bullet and just replaced them both and the vibration was gone.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I put new fronts on this season so yet another place to look.