DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Starter Heat Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starter Heat Question
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Jerry I'll check the voltage. I did start the engine with the new starter and it did spin the engine a lot faster, I just didn't let it run for more than a second or two.

Bob

Sometimes I think it has a lot to do with heat soak in the heads, and trying to hot start on pi$$ octane. My dually was performing perfectly, but don't expect it to restart immediately after shutdown, unless it had a chance to sit and idle the coolant temperature down a bit.

Those things will go 250-260 degrees in the first minute or so. Give it long enough for the temperature to peak and fall a bit, and it starts fine. Confused

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
I solved the same issue on an ancient old 70s Winnebago with headers by simply shielding the starter from radiant header heat with heavy sheet metal attached to the header with baling wire. Later a second shield was installed around the starter. Tin snips, sheet metal, .032 safety wire, and maybe header wrap on pipes near the starter might be all that’s needed to minimize the heat soak.

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Also installing a HD relay and using 10g wire for the small solinoid tigger wire will help to get more AMPs to solinoid.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 259 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SR2010
posted Hide Post
I had this same problem on a Chevy dually 454. I added a Moroso heat shield which cured it. https://www.moroso.com/starter-heat-shield74300/

Posts: 22 | Location: Ooltewah, TN | Registered: September 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post