DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2001 silverado 2500 dim headlights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001 silverado 2500 dim headlights
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted
dim headlights, seem even worse at low idle speed. already changed alternator for other reason, any thoughts? thanks!

Posts: 728 | Location: pa. | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Battery to engine block ground.
Engine block to firewall ground.

AC Delco replacements at Rockauto about 50 bucks.

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Put a meter on the 12 volt big lug on the back of the alternator first. Then check voltage directly at the battery Average is 13.7-14.2. Could be a chassis ground also. With the headlights on, Check actual voltage at the headlights themselves and the ground.If the voltage is ok at the headlights
String a separate wire from the ground side of the head light plug to the negative side of the battery. See if they get brighter.

If they do increase with the little ground wire,
there is your problem. I have had a lot in the past years even with the semi's. Poor ground connections. Salt corrosion/bad connections..

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Two fixes. First, dedicated ground for each light, making sure it's a GOOD ground. This includes checking/fixing the current grounds as already stated.

Second, install a high amp relay that feeds the lights directly from the battery. Use the factory wiring to control the relay. Larger wiring and direct feed means near zero voltage drop to lights. Battery connections must be clean, tight, and as already mentioned, charging voltage AT THE BATTERY MUST be good. It should be the same as the output terminal on the alternator......

Corrosion attracts all wiring eventually, so check all your connectors, junctions, etc....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1472 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check down by ac compressor these trucks have a braided strap for ground that turns green and causes all sorts of problems I’ve gotten to the point just make a new cable and add it to all these trucks engine to frame

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
First check is a voltage check at battery with a DVOM then at the alternator main terminal. Then check the terminal at the headlamp with the meter grounded at the battery, then ground the meter at the headlamps plug and see if there is a difference in readings.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with my truck, but only after I drive my wife's new car with really bright lights.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post