DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    3" vs 3.5" Header Mufflers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3" vs 3.5" Header Mufflers
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Our NA combo ran 3" Dynomax race bullet header mufflers. We decided to leave them on with the ProCharged combo. I just installed 3.5" Dynomax race bullet header mufflers. Both set-ups add about 16" of collector length; the only differences are the dia. & the 3" mufflers had no packing.

While I could do some testing at the track with the 2 different dia. mufflers. With only (2) time hits during points races, I'm not going through the hassle of swapping them. I mainly changed the mufflers to quite the exhaust a little more & they do that.

Does anyone think there will be a performance increase? I'm not really concerned if it makes more power or not, we do that with boost or fuel/timing map changes.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2558 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I would bet the only difference between the two is the larger ID one might be quieter with the packing.

My car has 3.5” ID Dynatech mufflers that are 5” OD packing and have a flat perforated baffle inside the full 6” length of the muffler. I think these type mufflers help with noise reduction and no performance loss. I like mine and one of the reasons I would not have fender exit exhaust.

Posts: 2469 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I would bet the only difference between the two is the larger ID one might be quieter with the packing.

My car has 3.5” ID Dynatech mufflers that are 5” OD packing and have a flat perforated baffle inside the full 6” length of the muffler. I think these type mufflers help with noise reduction and no performance loss. I like mine and one of the reasons I would not have fender exit exhaust.

The larger dia. mufflers are definitely quieter & they have the same basic features of your Dynatech's.

As for a performance increase, we'll see. I think any power adder motor is more sensitive to back pressure than a NA motor. I hope to test/race in July, if the car gets back from body/paint.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2558 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
One other thing I like with mufflers is that I have 16” of pipe behind the O2 sensor located in the collector. This aids in using closed loop and learn to get the idle map programed to the desired AFR with an ECU.

Posts: 2469 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have 23" of collector/muffler after the O2 sensor. Holley wanted a minimum of 18" if I remember correctly.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436