DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Front control Arms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front control Arms
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted
Hello all, looking at replacing the front control arms on my car.

Looking at the smithracecraft and innovativeracecraft arms. I like these because you can set the alignment without shims.

Any feedback on these? My car likes the big wheelie, so i need something thay wi stand up to that abuse.

Thanks

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1834 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
We have had really good luck with TRZ stuff. Most of it is direct bolt in.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 727 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
For the abuse aspect of bracket racing, I chose BMR on my Nova. They're a little heavier duty.

I put em on everything.

My Nova 60ft is good / best anywhere in the world, comparatively speaking.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I used the Smith Race craft A-arms with the lower coil over mount, QA1 HT pig tail springs, with the Sathuff coil over shock shaft in the stock upper mount.

https://smithracecraft.com/pro...ntrol-arms-coil-over

Posts: 108 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I just bought a ProForged steering kit idler, drag link, pitman arm etc etc and a new Borgensen 525 manual steering box for my Nova banjo, coated. Look into that stuff too, nice.

With the BMR control arms all the camber issues for drag racing associated with factory control arms, can be remedied.

To lay the caster back they-BMR will require shims,no big deal. Confused

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
Hello all, looking at replacing the front control arms on my car.

Looking at the smithracecraft and innovativeracecraft arms. I like these because you can set the alignment without shims.

Any feedback on these? My car likes the big wheelie, so i need something thay wi stand up to that abuse.

Thanks

I can vouch for the Smith Racecraft arms & have been running them around 7 years. This is on our 80 Camaro & they have held up with no problems. While I pull the wheels, I chose not to do the big wheelie. Eek

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2683 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of them are designed light weight for heads up go as fast as you can racing, and that's cool too, I was looking at them at one point but I'm bracket racing now, not trying to go 5.80.

BMR are heavier, heavy duty too. Look at em. They're nice but more street strip for abuse.

They definitely solve all the geometry issues, in the design though.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I like the BMR stuff,but they dont offer a coil over option. I would like to get ride of the tie bar at the bottom of the shock. I had to replace one last time because it was bent.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1834 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Smith Racecraft on our Camaro for 20 years. They make great stuff. Having them nearby in Dallas helps.

Posts: 87 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I have Smith race craft on the Firebird and TRZ on the truck. Both are excellent quality and I like the adjustable heims so no need for a big stack of shims. Only thing I don't like is neither offer a bump stop provision. We drilled and tapped the frame and made our own, but bump stops would be nice.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
I have Smith race craft on the Firebird and TRZ on the truck. Both are excellent quality and I like the adjustable heims so no need for a big stack of shims. Only thing I don't like is neither offer a bump stop provision. We drilled and tapped the frame and made our own, but bump stops would be nice.

The last set of TRZ stuff I did on a S10 had bump adjustment provisions.

Posts: 472 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of rallye bob
posted Hide Post
I use Autofab Race Cars Inc. upper and lower control arms on my GM "A" body. Nice well built products... https://store.autofabracecars....elle-a-body-coilover

Posts: 22 | Location: usa | Registered: December 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rallye bob:
I use Autofab Race Cars Inc. upper and lower control arms on my GM "A" body. Nice well built products... https://store.autofabracecars....elle-a-body-coilover

I’ve been running their upper and lower on my Nova for several years also.

I have coilovers and the car works great, but I wish I had gotten lowers with the spring pocket option just in case I wanted to try a full spring.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3197 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I still have the very first set Rob at Autofab made on my car. I like the rod end mounted design, lots of adjustment without shims. The only thing I have changed were the original stock style ball joints with QA1 zero friction and replaced the rod ends on the upper control arms once. They have been flawless for many years.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 774 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post