DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Re-using crank after catastrophic failure?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-using crank after catastrophic failure?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
I had an engine failure that ended with broken rod, 2 cylinder sleeves with the bottom skirts broken off and some minor block damage at the bottom of the cylinder sleeve areas (aluminum block). My question is about re-using the crankshaft after being through this type of engine failure. I think the journal would clean up with minimal grinding. I'm just concerned about unseen damage or weakening of the crank itself. It is a Callies Magnum 4.75" crank. Callies recommended taking it to a company called shaft tek and have them check it over. They say if its repairable to run it. If any cracks are found I would not run it even if fixable. I don't want to spend an extra 4k for nothing but would rather spend the 4k now than to have a catastrophic failure because of it.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Posts: 394 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I had ShafTech repair a cracked Winberg crank on my blower motor. They did an awesome job and were very good to work with, gave me all the details on how and why they did what they did including before and after repair magnaflux pictures. They are in Ohio so not to far from you.
Take it to them and have them evaluate it.
https://shaftech.com/

There is another outfit called Marine Crank, I have also heard good things about but I have no first hand experience with them

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2518 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Send it to ShafTech they do awesome work. I lost an oil pump years ago and burned all the rod bearings on a 4.75 Callies. They straightened it perfectly and it came back std on the mains and 10 on the rods.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 298 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses gentleman, I hear all good things about shaftech. My local engine guy is wanting me to send it to them and then sell it to cover some of the cost of a new one. My thoughts are if no cracks and not bent use it. The crank has about 800 passes on it.

Posts: 394 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If Callies said send it to Shaftec then that is what I would do and at least have them tell you if it is worth it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4196 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it gets a clean bill of health send it. Shaftec, Bullet, Marine, or Mile High can all get it done. We use Bullet mostly and Marine as they are close and shipping is getting stupid...

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 1019 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm 3 hours from shaftech so that is who I will go with.

Thanks for the input.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My local engine guy is wanting me to send it to them and then sell it to cover some of the cost of a new one.

That was my initial thought yesterday, but didn't want to sound like I support passing on ones problems. If it gets a clean bill of health I would think it would probably serve well in a street build.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2359 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
The Winberg billet crank that Shaftech repaired eventually got cycled out of my blower motor at around 220 runs and now has been rebalanced and living life in the 565 in my s10 PST and being overkill, I am sure it will live a long life too

Posts: 2518 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It will be known what has been done with it including the report and pictures from before they do anything to it.

quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
My local engine guy is wanting me to send it to them and then sell it to cover some of the cost of a new one.

That was my initial thought yesterday, but didn't want to sound like I support passing on ones problems. If it gets a clean bill of health I would think it would probably serve well in a street build.