Find
Notify
Tools

Bbc head choice
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted
I have a 496 with a 700/700 lift, 270/275@50. I have two sets of heads. Which one would you think would work best. I set is 049 ported 2.19/1.88 valves. The 2nd set is procomp oval heads that's ported with 2.25/ 1.88 valves. Both heads are ported . This is a racing only engine. I have these heads not buying another set

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Novacaine,

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
You may take them to shop and have them flowed to see which ones are best. Keep in mind the aluminum heads have a significant weight savings.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Ported by who?

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
My machine shop had then done..

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I'd find it hard to believe the procomp aluminum heads arent a better performance choice, let alone obvious weight savings.
But the steel heads you can go without a stud girdle which is a huge bonus, aluminum should have a girdle with roller cams IMO.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
I'd find it hard to believe the procomp aluminum heads arent a better performance choice, let alone obvious weight savings.
But the steel heads you can go without a stud girdle which is a huge bonus, aluminum should have a girdle with roller cams IMO.

I agree with that the Procomp may not be best heads but they should be better than factory ported or not.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:

X2...not even close

I agree with that the Procomp may not be best heads but they should be better than factory ported or not.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Many variables but I'd definitely go with the pro comps, they should be better.

That cam can make an easy 700hp with compression and a decent head.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help.Looks like procomp and I will use the 049,s on a 454 with about the same camshaft .

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Don’t get rid of those 049 heads… if those are ported decently they’ll run with the cheap heads.
I just had the chance to check out the Asian pro comp / speedmaster . Not impressed. The set my son bought has to run a huge bore head gasket because of the wide chamber. Valves are cheap, runout on seats too. Had a long conversation with Mark Jones about them. He also has a great video out regarding those. I’ll post it.
We are using those on my sons lake boat so we’ll see…

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The Procomp heads are probably China and that was why I was rather reluctant to recommend them. Still think they have to be better than the 049 heads. Most everything coming out of China is getting better. TV's, computers, cameras, phones, cranks, rods and heads.

The 049 heads can run pretty good. in 2000? I was running a 454 with solid lifter cam, 049 heads, in my Camaro running 10.20 in 1/4 mile. Basically an LS6 motor with 850 alcohol carb. That is not impressive in today's cars but was always one of fastest footbrake cars around back then.

Still think the Procomp heads would probably be better choice here.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye in these areas if they are the 320's

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sell both sets and then buy a better set?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had a set of 049's on a 598 injected on methanol and it was a decent combo. Not the fastest in the world .750 lift roller, 13.5 compression, enderle injection system, PG, 5800 flash, (5.80's at 3350 lbs). Consistent and zero maintenance. If you have a good set of them and you don't mind giving up a couple tenths due to flow and the additional 80 lbs you'll be carrying around I wouldn't be scared to use them.

Combo mentioned above improved to 5.50/60 with a set of Dart 380 Pro2 heads. Figure the swap to aluminum was worth 0.075 of that improvement. HP improvement was the balance.

All depends on what you are trying to do with the combo, but I would not hesitate to run the iron heads assuming they are truly ready to run. If you have to start spending money on them, that may change the conversation.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you had a set of OEM oval ports on a 598? I can't see how they'd rev over about 5000...maybe you had some OEM rectangles? There would have been a lot more improvement with the 380 Darts, 049's are in the 250's....

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
IMO Injected methanol improves small intake ports more than the same conversion on larger intake ports.

Yes, for sure they were GM 049's from a jet boat, dude had them on a 10:1 flat top, 565 I bought for a steal. When i hurt the crank in the 565, i stepped up to the 598 and 13.5 compression. Just the change from 565 to 598 (added 3 points of compression) was worth 0.2 in the 1/8th (6.00 to 5.80's).

They were ported and had 2.25 intake stainless valves, but still was an oval port no matter how you cut it. I did dyno the 565 (10:1 compression, pump gas, 049's, 0.600 lift street roller), it made 700 tq and 700 hp that was a couple years before the conversion to methanol.

In its 598/pro2 380 arrangement, the 598 shortblock made 998 HP and 815 TQ (13:1 compression, 750 lift roller, methanol injection).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Triple Nickel,

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'll be damned, learn something every day.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Both heads are ported. The procomps flow 365 @ 700 and the 049's I think 320 at 700. I was told don't go over 700 lift on steel heads because they wont make any more power after 7000 rpms.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Novacaine:
I was told don't go over 700 lift on steel heads because they wont make any more power after 7000 rpms.

that makes no senses! All heads will make more power with more lift, even if they max out flow wise! Given a family of cam lobes being equal, more means the valve will be open longer above a certain lift, duration wise which will allow more flow into the cylinder. Cam lobe design also controls power, the faster you open and close the valve for a given lift, the more power the motor will make!

In your case, the AL heads will run faster just due to weight reduction alone! If they don't crack!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post