Bracket Talk
Lets open a header building shop!!

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/9477048796

January 12, 2022, 07:50 AM
jenavet
Lets open a header building shop!!
Just talked to mike at FAB shop headers.He is booked till june before he can even start another set of headers!!
Sounds like an amazing business to get into with massive demand!!!
January 12, 2022, 08:38 AM
1320racer
I would think his backlog is a result of the supply chain issues and lack of labor force effecting most businesses in this country which is likely to get worse while this administration is in office. I’ll sell you are 1 season old fab shop headers which were worth exactly NOTHING on the time slip over Dynatech but I knew that and told my son that before he ordered them which he did because he likes the look better than Dynatech.
January 12, 2022, 09:00 AM
Mike Nitzsche
You'd have to build many headers to make decent money. The parts alone are 2/3's of the cost on most of my builds. I keep enough tubing related stuff in stock for about 2-3 sets of BBC headers and Some smaller stuff for many other applications. I'm lucky to have enough stainless bends to fulfill my current backlog of builds because I hear thats getting hard to get.
January 12, 2022, 09:06 AM
T172JR
I just ordered some race electronics and when the supply of parts runs out I was told it will be a year wait.

I should have my entire inventory of new equipment for Spring now. I have gotten ZERO. Luckily I have some in stock from late Fall to hopefully get going in the Spring.

My good friend works for a dairy that has been in business over a 100 years. They supply all Shoprites and Quickcheck with milk, water and juices. Closing March 1st. Can't find help and tried buying property in PA to build an automated dairy. Lost property twice. Gave up and hired ex convicts to work. Nothing is getting done. They will now buy everything from another dairy and sell it. All employees , drivers, labor, office , guards etc are done. Selling all the stainless equipment for scrap and will sell the property.
January 12, 2022, 09:18 AM
"The Bender"
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I would think his backlog is a result of the supply chain issues and lack of labor force effecting most businesses in this country which is likely to get worse while this administration is in office.

Nail on head!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.
January 12, 2022, 09:22 AM
nomad
I cut, fit, and tacked my last set of headers. Then I had Bill from Elite Race Cars do the final welding. Of course, they are mild steel.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781
January 12, 2022, 09:32 AM
SCDIV1
I'm not working and have not since November 8th

Onan machines and parts were getting harder and harder to get months before then

New machines, the standard answer for availability was 26-30 weeks

Common items I used everyday were shown as not available and would be backordered

I've checked on some items for friends while I'm at home, I have access to Cummins-Onan online

Same thing just a couple weeks ago, every item I looked up, not available and would be backordered

I have waited months for major components over the last couple years.

Something as simple as filters Onan branded......backordered....

Major have to have parts I re-ordered as fast as I used them were unavailable and without them the machines were down and these were used everyday by people commercially making a living

I sold everything I had that was usable machine wise 6 months ago.....

Winter is usually a slow time in that world anyway but I'm glad I'm not having to deal with it and the customers who have no alternative....
January 12, 2022, 09:41 AM
1320racer
Over the last 2 weeks I’ve ordered parts for my motor home, a slide motor and a landing gear hydraulic pump. Much to my surprise I received both in less than 2 weeks from the time I ordered them.
January 12, 2022, 10:38 AM
jenavet
quote:
would think his backlog is a result of the supply chain issues and lack of labor force effecting most businesses in this country which is likely to get worse while this administration is in office. I’ll s

nope!!
Jeff melnick at exotic does amazing work.He has materials.The only slow down is the ceramic coating process.He saying 3 week turnaround.Jeff does alot of headers/zoomies for the TD and TS guys.amazing quality
January 12, 2022, 10:54 AM
I Hate Dragsters
Just built a set of zoomies last month. everything was in stock.

I could build 3 sets for the cost of a new set from 'name a place' labor included.
January 12, 2022, 10:57 AM
BP758
Every builder we know is out a ways. 2.5 stepped stainless header 6K$
REF is coming here to build three sets next month.

Raceless in California!
January 12, 2022, 11:34 AM
1320racer
REF for the Win
January 12, 2022, 11:41 AM
Big Steve
Guess I better hang onto those Fab shop dragster headers I have not used in 4 years
January 12, 2022, 01:30 PM
TOP38
Mikey

You have enough issues with your crew chiefs, you don't have time for a header shop!
January 12, 2022, 03:00 PM
Vince Kaiser
I have a set of fabshop dragster mild steel chrome plated 2-1/4" stepped into 2-3/8. Almost brand new as I used them for a weekend. I'm just not a chrome guy.

$2200

As for Mike's, it's a one-man band at his shop.
January 12, 2022, 04:15 PM
Bucky
It would be a nice (cash) side hustle for someone who is good with fabrication and welding.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
January 12, 2022, 08:20 PM
I Hate Dragsters
once i made a small fixture to maintain the desired angle it went quite quickly.