DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    3rd member case for my Lamplighter project
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd member case for my Lamplighter project
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Racers,

The Lamplighter will be a footbrake leave with an expected ET in the 5.90s. It will weigh 2950 - 3000 with the driver, 421 CI SBC with Methanol fuel. The market holds some new products since I last bought a case. I like Strange Engineering products so my choice will come from that company.
I have 35 spline axles and will require the 3.250 case.

*S series nodular iron?
*Pro Nodular iron?
*HD Aluminum?
*Standard duty aluminum

The weight difference is not that much between all choices.

What are y'all utilizing?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I see no reason the STD duty aluminum would not be perfect fit. Lite weight and not stupid cost. You could go for heavy duty aluminum, but why?JMO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Racers,

The Lamplighter will be a footbrake leave with an expected ET in the 5.90s. It will weigh 2950 - 3000 with the driver, 421 CI SBC with Methanol fuel. The market holds some new products since I last bought a case. I like Strange Engineering products so my choice will come from that company.
I have 35 spline axles and will require the 3.250 case.

*S series nodular iron?
*Pro Nodular iron?
*HD Aluminum?
*Standard duty aluminum

The weight difference is not that much between all choices.

What are y'all utilizing?

I bought two of these from Ray Miller when he was in Florida. I bet you could get one from him, he's cool and buys a lot of them from Strange or at least he must, because he gave me a fantastic deal on the first, I went back and bought another a few years later.

Sounds like you're gonna have some decent power I'd go Pro Nodular. They're pretty nice, heavy but nice, and heavy duty. Call him, he's real down to earth, he might be able to save ya a few bucks.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Judging by the description on the Strange website the standard duty aluminum case is not suitable for my application. The HD aluminum case is out of my price range. I do like the pro iron case and the pricing is in line with my situation. In addition, the pro iron case uses standard Ford parts. Looks like a good choice for my project.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
larry, I have a mark Williams alum. center section with 35 spline spool, 4;30 pro gear , and 1350 yoke, complete , and if you can use it a chassisworks 36" wide fab 9" with moser axels the rear is 36" from wheel to wheel , interested give me a text at 518-469-3794

Posts: 17 | Location: Kinderhook, N.Y., USA. | Registered: February 07, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

If Larry is not interested, I may be. Is the Spool for MW axles or regular axles?

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Guys, I already have everything except the case and gears.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Larry, I just pulled this out of my 3rd Gen (same Quay narrowed housing as yours) last night and dropped it at a shop today. Gear change and replacing the 1350 street style yoke with a Strange Chrome Moly.

It has a Moser pinion support and the guy doing the work says the carrier looks like Moser. MW 35 spline spool and axles. This is from 1992 when the car was built.

If I needed replacing I’d purchase the Strange Pro Iron PRF105 package. Aluminum Pro is $350 more and 17 lbs lighter if money isn’t an issue and less weight is desired.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
i'll have to check my bill from moser and see what spline, I 'll do that Tuesday and let you know

Posts: 17 | Location: Kinderhook, N.Y., USA. | Registered: February 07, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
strange pro iron in mine. I bought a new one and set it up for a friends car, they are nice pieces.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You will have longer gear life in a nodular than std al...in my opinion. The big difference in the aluminum types is the through bolts on the HD units which brings the gear life up to par with a nodular.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well Darn, that's a slick installation aid.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have always followed the idea to wait that extra month or two, save the additional money and buy the best piece for the application. That heavy nodular third member is unsprung dead weight, the heavy duty aluminum unit is considerably lighter and just as strong, perhaps even stronger.

This is mearly a suggestion, it's not my money do what your budget allows.

I agree with Bruce, that installation device is slick!

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I agree Bob and the best would be a 3rd member from Mark Williams. Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The best? Who could argue that is the best way to go? However, we are just bracket racing here right? As far as best, it's relative. What if I have the previous best but that has been displaced by the current best? "Any engineering manager will recognize the 90/10 rule of project management, where the first 90% is completed in 10% of the time, but the last 10% is the most agonizing and will take 90% of the time." There is a corresponding expense that goes along with that 90/10 rule. The best can be a trap in the pursuit of perfection in an imperfect world.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
that installation device is slick!

Transmission jack plate that swivels with screw type tilt and horizontal position adjusters.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd go Dewco, if I were you! Smile Not!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Speaking of which:

I have a 35 spline spool that I am no longer using, I switched to a MW 40. Anyone interested contact me through DDR. The spool comes with carrier bearings and races.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
my 9" stuff is mark Williams spline,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A differential bench fixture costs $40 and is well worth that $$

I did my own 9" using one and it makes the job even easier...

I started to make a plate to mount it in an engine stand but just bolted it to a bench.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post