DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Repairing MT Slick
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repairing MT Slick
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I need opinions on repairing a big bubba tire. I had the misfortune of finding a hare pin in the mid tread portion of a 40 runs old slick. It went in kind of on its side and once pulled out the tire has two puncture holes that leak about an inch apart in the middle portion of the tire. I'm wondering if it's good idea, safe or otherwise to get a patch put on the inside over both punctures or cut my losses?

Posts: 203 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
That really sucks. Especially because now you 'bout need to buy a pair of them.
I do understand the pain - Won a race at Topeka on some newer slicks, (their 4th outing), a week after the National event there. We were pitted right where the Schumacher team had been the previous weekend. Not blaming it on them, but all evening we kept finding single-edge razor blades on the ground. It was dark for the last few rounds and after the final I found one of those blades while driving into our pit. I thought about doing as you said, and patching the inside. The M/T engineer asked how much I valued my life, lol. So yeah, those race winnings did not cover the cost of 2 new slicks. That definitely put a damper on the celebration.
Your 2 punctures may not be as risky as the 1 inch cut through the belting on mine, but as that ol' boy told me, the integrity of the tire has been compromised.
If your budget allows for it, I'd bite the bullet.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1077 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Apparently, you are quick/fast enough to need a Big Bubba slick. Enough said, replace the tires!

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2699 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I knew I'd read about people using Super Glue, but nothing turned up in the Search here. I found this old thread with a couple ideas. I wouldn't throw out the tire.

https://www.classracer.com/cla...owthread.php?t=50027

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3203 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I've plugged many slicks on doorcars and dragsters. I don't see why an internal patch / repair wouldn't work.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 777 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I would not hesitate to plug it. I have plugged at least 5 never had an issue.

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1307 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve had three like this. Plugged them from the outside and never a problem.

Posts: 2614 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I plugged a Hoosier with about 6 runs on it with one of the good brown self-vulcanizing plugs after getting an electrical staple in it just as they were calling us for 1st round. I put about 150 mid-7 second runs on it after that without an issue.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 648 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Internal patch will be fine. Ive plugged many tires at events I could not pull the tire off at.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1993 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
On the bright side
If you internal patch enough times they won’t leak as badly

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6442 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
On the bright side
If you internal patch enough times they won’t leak as badly

Ok Bucky, that there was funny! Big Grin
All the folks that have successfully used plugs on punctures tells me that approach may be ok. My situation with a 1 inch wide cut through the belt would definitely not have been sealed by a plug.

Dan "Jim" Moore

Posts: 1077 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I knew I'd read about people using Super Glue, but nothing turned up in the Search here. I found this old thread with a couple ideas. I wouldn't throw out the tire.

https://www.classracer.com/cla...owthread.php?t=50027

I can attest to the Super Glue being a good, permanent repair, on a golf cart tire sidewall slice.

Back on topic, I wouldn't be scared to run it with a proper patch inside.
Yes, I also have plugged a slick minutes before making a run, and wore it on out, no issues on my slow ride.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1772 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
With all this apparent success in plugging slicks a the track, I gotta say, it is another reason to NOT run inner tubes. I used to run tubes for years. Back when some tracks would run a separate Buy-Back round for Rd 1 losers, I got a puncture on my way to the lanes for First Round. It was losing air pretty quickly. Someone had an air tank on their golf cart and bailed me out. Won that round, yanked the wheel, ran up the highway a few miles to the Goodyear store, they patched the tube and I made it back in time for Rd 3. That could never happen these days. I quit running tubes after that season.

Dan "Jim" Moore

DRR Trophy
Picture of 2x4b4fun
posted Hide Post
Super glue likes to bond rubber. Ever used an O-ring kit where super glue is used to bond an 0-ring? The o-ring will break but not at the glue joint. Used super glue on a pin hole in a slick and it never failed. But this was on a 6.0 car.

Posts: 7 | Location: Knoxville | Registered: July 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
For plugging check out stop and go tire repair it's a plug that goes in from outside but is like a patch plug.

Posts: 123 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
I would try to plug the holes from the outside if they are big enough holes. If they are small holes, then try the Super Glue. I have plugged slicks several times (not the same tire) and after one burn-out, you can't tell where the plug was installed.

I would NOT try to patch the holes from the inside unless you can do it WITHOUT having to buff the inside of the tire. The same goes for a front runner. The inside of these drag tires (slicks & fronts) are very thin on the contact patch and if you try to buff the tire to get a flat smooth area for the patch, you will go into the cords or belts.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 317 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Fix it and run it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4196 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Was in tire business for several years. In certain calls i would use these by Steelman worked very well

https://steelmantools.com/prod...re-repair-plug-patch

Posts: 1413 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post