DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tire Pressure Gauges
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Pressure Gauges
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Project Farm Tire Pressure Gauge TEST

Posts: 2625 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I use the Intercomp digital, I wonder how it compares?
https://www.summitracing.com/p...3l2AvpxoCXzMQAvD_BwE

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4210 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I use the Intercomp digital, I wonder how it compares?
https://www.summitracing.com/p...3l2AvpxoCXzMQAvD_BwE

Being it is digital...in the same ball park as the HF digital. Big Grin

I have 3 of the HF ones and when I compare them they all give the same number every time

Can you test and compare them for us?

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1229 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
Here is an interesting read about pressure gauges.

14 Reasons To Look At Digital Pressure Gauges Over Analog Gauges
https://www.ralstoninst.com/ap...s-over-analog-gauges

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1229 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Interesting test on the gauges. I think what would be more telling would be repeated hot and cold cycles since we leave the gauges in the car and or in the trailer year-round. The repeated cycles might take their toll on the gauges.
I had my analog gauge go bad and bought another but used the hose on a digital head I bought. I now use that since it's good for the front and the back tires instead of just a low pressure analog. I've compared the digital to my new analog and it's the same.

Posts: 1538 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of talbotracing
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I borrowed a gauge to check my tires a couple of weeks ago and discovered my Joe's Racing gauge was reading 2 pounds lower than others.

Jay

Posts: 224 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I bought one at the track yesterday for $35 and it was 3 lbs off from my old one and 3 others near by. Took it back and they offered me another but I declined. Today I got one for $7.50 at harbor freight and it is dead on on the regular car yet to try on the race car. Checking Summit now. Old one is over 20 years old and needed replaced. HF said I could bring it back for 90 days

Posts: 6256 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
One of best gauges I ever got was a cheap digital one on Amazon. It had .01% accuracy 0-15 PSI and it was great!, until I left it on the rear tire and backed up over it. Ooops.

I have always used only one tire gauge for my tires because I want them to be same every time and I have seen quite a bit of variation between gauges. I do keep a spare gauge just in case it gets damaged or lost.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4210 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have had the same 0-60psi Longacre digital for maybe 10 years

https://www.longacreracing.com...-Tire-Pressure-Gauge

Posts: 2522 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I used the Intercomp Digital and used to joke that my tire pressure gauge cost more than my first car, and that was a 69 GTO. It's true though!

Posts: 638 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Well HF wouldn't seal to valve stem properly so back it goes. Heading for Summit web page next.

Posts: 6256 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well HF wouldn't seal to valve stem properly so back it goes. Heading for Summit web page next.

I ordered this JACO Digital 100 psi model along with the ETENWOLF that both were in the test this week from Amazon. Going to see how my old pencil, Slim Digital and analog Longacre gauges compare and will post the results. My plan is to leave the JACO in the car replacing the old Longacre that has a sticky needle. My preference is now digital over analog.

Posts: 2625 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to your results, Markemark.
And I am glad you brought up this topic. Wink
I have been using the same old 0-15 PSI analog racing gauge I bought from Speedway 25 years ago.
I don't have a backup, and for a long time I have meant to buy another one, and also compare my readings to gauges of some fellow racers at the track, but of course I just I never think about that when I am at a track.
Leaning toward going digital, as I also like the idea of being able to use a single gauge for all tires, instead of having separate ones for the slicks and fronts.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1080 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I use a 4" NoShok brand 0-30 p.s.i. industrial gauge with the old Moroso hose for my slicks, since I run them in the 15-18 p.s.i. range.

Rarely check the fronts, but I use my old (40+ years) Blue Point 0-100 p.s.i. gauge for those and my other vehicles. It has always been the "standard" in my shop to test other gauges.

Your gauge range should be roughly double the pressure target. Using a 100 p.s.i. gauge to set tires at 6-8-10 p.s.i. makes no sense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Goob,

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1783 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your gauge range should be roughly double the pressure target. Using a 100 p.s.i. gauge to set tires at 6-8-10 p.s.i. makes no sense.

THIS JACO I purchased has a working range of 5-100 psi and a display resolution of 0.10

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I've never felt the need to invest much in a tire pressure gauge.

I do at least check the tires before every pass in my dragster, but the door car gets checked about twice per day no matter the number of rounds.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3209 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post