DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Woodruff key question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodruff key question
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Does anyone make a woodruff key that uses a 3/16 lower half that engages into the crank but a 1/4" width where it goes into the balancer?

I have a balancer that came off of a callies crank that uses a 1/4" key slot, but switched cranks to a winberg that uses a 3/16 key slot.

Option A is to use a staggered key, option B is to replace the balancer. Obviously the key would be cheaper.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Can you have one machined?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4027 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Thats weird, I know they make a 1/4 x3/16 key but is opposite of what you want, 1/4 normally goes in the crank.. I guess you could flip it upside down. Summit has them, you might check with Specialty fasteners too.
I just got a Winberg crank and its 1/4 key but I specified duel 1/4 key.

Summit part #, ATI Crankshaft Step Keys 918992

Since you said balancer I assume you are talking the straight key and not the 1/2 moon key for the crank gear

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Woodruff key is the half moon key. But I bet you could machine or possibly buy one of either type.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4027 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post