DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Door car front suspension question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Door car front suspension question
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
This is for the chassis builders on here and any others that are in the know.
What is involved to convert a front suspension on a 2x3 chassis with tubular A arms and coil overs to a strut front suspension?
What would be the benefits and would it be worth it? This would be on a 5 second 1/8 mile car weighing around 2650lbs with driver
Go

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Can't answer your question but one thing I would consider before doing this and that's front end travel. Usually, A arms have more travel than struts. It may or may not matter with your combo, just something to consider before swapping, some cars need a bunch of front end travel to work.

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Here is a conversion I did on Marlon Goates Camero. It worked out nice. Also, I would add that if you are concerned about travel, It could be done with something like an aftermarket strut for a Mustang or other car using struts.

His car had a Mustang II A arm suspension already on it. For the lower strut mount I just used the Mustang II mounts.

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3336 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Dave, what benefit was gained by the conversion?

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Steve,
He said the car handled better. Other than that nothing.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3336 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Steve, given your specs, I think a strut conversion would be a positive upgrade. Better header clearance, easy ride height adjustment, improved handling. The key will be to select a strut that allows enough travel for the overall package. Plus, I suggest a top for the line strut builder who has experience with a package like you describe, there is a difference.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1861 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
When we say handle better, is that at the launch or drive ability at speed?

My Camaro I had several years ago had A Arms with double adjustable coil overs with maybe 2 inches of stroke total. By adjusting the extension a few clicks I could have the car leave flat or on the rear bumper. I don't remember having any issues with handling on the top end

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
My Camaro I had several years ago had A Arms with double adjustable coil overs with maybe 2 inches of stroke total. By adjusting the extension a few clicks I could have the car leave flat or on the rear bumper.

Same with my Firebird Steve, very tunable suspension.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Steve and Ed, I agree with each of you in ref to the handling and adjustability of an OE suspension. I have the same experience. However, Steve, when you said a 2 x 3 frame with a arms, I took that to be, most likely, an aftermarket or duplicate of a Mustang II front end. If that is the case, in my experience, that design is poor for drag racing. It has limited travel and uses a shock with limited height and adjustability range.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1861 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Larry, my Camaro was a mustang 2 suspension that I updated to Tubular A arms and Strange DA coil overs. I sent the shocks back and had them re valved and they worked extremely well. Each click was extremely responsive.
The car in question for this thread I dont have, just interested in possibly buying and trying to determine if a front suspension change would be worth it.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Steve, sounds like it would be OK as an A frame deal.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Had the 56 Chevy converted a few months ago

Ultimately feel the struts are safer and less likely to wear out than A-arms are. I’m sure some will try to say that’s not the case, but your choice.

Saved a little over 50 pounds in weight

More room in the engine bay

Car is more consistent, but I’m sure we could have gotten the A-arms to be more consistent

Slightly quicker 60 foot time probably due to weight savings

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Did you have to add to the box once upgraded to struts?

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 777 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
Did you have to add to the box once upgraded to struts?

Saw no difference in reaction times.

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Marlon's car had a little bump steer I found prior to doing the strut conversion. The bump steer could have easily been taken care of but he wanted to go to struts.
He was mainly after getting rid of some weight and change as an upgrade. The car was a Hot Rod and bracket class car.
I also, changed it from ladder bar to 4 link at the same time.
First race out after the mods was Memphis Pro Am. The car left wheels up and never a bobble.
It is a very repeatable car.
As has been mentioned more room for headers and ease of adjustment.

Dave