DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Co2 bottle filling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Co2 bottle filling
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Does anyone have any links to a set up to fill your own bottles? I have a couple people locally that run bottles and would like to find a turn key set up that I could buy to get a mother bottle from a welding shop and fill all of our bottles for the local guys. Also some filling instructions would be great. Want to fill them correctly and I have seen the set ups at local places that don’t look like they are very involved and could be affordable. Thanks!

Posts: 216 | Location: NJ | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 cga320 nut and nipple assemblies, 2 npt to an adapters and a 2ft crimped an line. As for filling I know it's not the proper way but I don't even take mine out of the cars I just open the bottle and crack the valve on the mother bottle 3-4 times. Not sure what I actually get for volume but I get 1000-1500 psi.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 469 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
don't have mother bottle setup YET. I went to local paintball store and had mine filled for 4 bucks. Cheap but still PIA.

I am working on a set up like A.R.P sated and appreciate the info on nut PN.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4196 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
30 seconds later update.Just found a adapter on ebay for 13 bucks. Punch in cga 320 adapter. Alllow direct connection to argon bottle or a regulator could be used I guess.

Guy at paint ball store said he could get more info a chilled bottle.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4196 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
My buddy gave me a full 20lb co2 bottle. I just make sure it's warm, I freeze my small one. I have two bottle nuts, one for each, and a hose. I just attach the two and open the valves, mother bottle first then small one. Wait for the flow to stop then close both valves and disconnect hose. Works like a champ.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1481 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Simple – Go to a beverage store that fills co2 tanks for fountain beverages. Buy a 20 lb bottle with a bottom pick up – Then go to a welding store and get an adapter from the co2 beverage bottle to the car bottle (make sure you get extra gaskets) – simple, easy, and you are set for a few years and you can fill a bottle in about 20 seconds. Cheap also.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
My buddy gave me a full 20lb co2 bottle. I just make sure it's warm, I freeze my small one. I have two bottle nuts, one for each, and a hose. I just attach the two and open the valves, mother bottle first then small one. Wait for the flow to stop then close both valves and disconnect hose. Works like a champ.

Been using this method for 20+ years. C02 is very cheap at a welding supply store. A big bottle seems like it lasts forever. Hardest part is finding the transfer hose (and not losing the gasket when other people use it)

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:

Been using this method for 20+ years. C02 is very cheap at a welding supply store. A big bottle seems like it lasts forever. Hardest part is finding the transfer hose (and not losing the gasket when other people use it)

I use a -4 Teflon nitrous hose I had laying around. It's rated at 10,000 psi so it should be good!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1481 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I did the same, a couple of cga320 fittings, a 3000 psi hydraulic hose from TSC and a 20 lb bottle with a dip tube.
https://beveragelements.com/be...n-tube-aluminum-new/

here's the thing about the 20 lb bottle, it has the be hydro tested every 5 years and the co2 lasted 6 years before i had to spend another $20 to fill it up.

Joe

PS if your going to buy a tank, get a few "Perma-Seals" the best thing ever!

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
this is what i use, large mother bottle with dip tube.

i dont bother to freeze the small bottle, i will put alittle co2 into the small bottle, close the valve at the mother bottle, vent out the bottom valve and it will cool the small bottle quick, close the bottom valve, open the mother bottle valve and fill

Posts: 691 | Location: tower city pa | Registered: December 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I ran a bottle for years and was always against installing a K&R onboard compressor because filling the bottles was not a big deal to me. Finally broke down and installed one after switching to TD and to be honest, its nice having 1 less thing to worry about and glad I did plus have used it more than a few times to top off the tires in the lanes after a delay. Just food for thought.

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post