DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Leaf Spring Traction Device
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaf Spring Traction Device
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Many use the CalTrac traction bars & I'm using the Smith Racecraft bars. Anyway, has anyone made bar position/angle changes with their bars & what was the results?

I've had the below bars on for 10+ years. The only changes made since the original set-up, all delt with pre-load. The car has been hitting the tire pretty hard at the launch. I finally decided to change the bar position/angle after doing some research. I left the rear bar position the same & moved the front position down 2 holes. They were initially set-up in the upper most hole. I'm hoping to calm the hit down a little.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I have the same bars on my Truck. I started with the bar completly level. with me in the truck an all fluids filled up. Set up with a nickel gap on driverside and passengerside no gap or preload. Seems to work for me. I don't make anywhere the HP you do.

I think the bars level with driver installed, is what you want to start at.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 259 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I've been using CalTracs for 25 years, always in the upper front hole.

I notice that at least 80% of the CalTrac cars out there are using the bottom hole, but I've never felt a need to change the setup. I wonder if it may be that the Stockers are footbraking, where I am using a transbrake so the bar can still 'do it's thing' with less leverage on the pivot.

I set the driver's side bar with no gap or preload, and put a flat or two of preload in the passenger bar.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3202 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Install instruction

Install bar & adjust rocker with the drivers weight in the car so it makes contact with spring eye & lock jam nuts.
 For a basic starting point, set the bar in the bottom hole front and back.
 Basic tuning, for softer hit move the bar down a hole, for harder hit move the bar up a hole.
 Bar Angle, generally the more ideal adjustment would be to angle the bar higher in the back than the front, this
will keep the tire planted to the ground longer, angling the bar higher in the front will result in initially hitting
the tire hard but usually will result with the tire not staying planted to the ground.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 259 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1leg:
Install instruction

Install bar & adjust rocker with the drivers weight in the car so it makes contact with spring eye & lock jam nuts.
 For a basic starting point, set the bar in the bottom hole front and back.
 Basic tuning, for softer hit move the bar down a hole, for harder hit move the bar up a hole.
 Bar Angle, generally the more ideal adjustment would be to angle the bar higher in the back than the front, this
will keep the tire planted to the ground longer, angling the bar higher in the front will result in initially hitting
the tire hard but usually will result with the tire not staying planted to the ground.

Thanks Jerry!

I found some of that in my research. My bars have been pretty close to level since installing them. The front might have been slightly higher, I never measured the angle.

I moved the front bar down to lessen the hit & keep the tire planted longer. The change does have the bar higher in the aft, but I need to measure.

Lenny,

I'm leaving off the transbrake also & fighting wheelies. Right now, I got it crutched with a launch retard. I would like to calm it down with more suspension work. Then hopefully add timing back in at the launch.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post