DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tool Storage in Trailer - Not on floor boxes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tool Storage in Trailer - Not on floor boxes
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
For the guys who are using all their floor space for race cars etc, how are you storing tools etc? There will be wall cabinets. But for tools, I'm wondering how well that will work. Could make grab/jump boxes with tools in them. Just reaching out for ideas.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I made a plate attached to the side door where I hang all of my wrenches etc so it is easily accessible where I park my car. I put hangers for firesuits and also have some of those Gladiator cabinets (Lowes?) in my trailer in addition to the factory cabinets. I built racks over the wheel covers inside to hold my fuel, spray jugs etc. I have 3 of the heavy duty 20 gallon plastic jugs for alcohol in addition to my 5 gallon jugs.
Have a regular full size stainless tool box that I removed the wheels and SECURELY bolted it to floor and wall.
Went to Walmart and got a broom holder for my broom and one for the pole for my weather station.
I try not to put anything more than I have to on the floor.
I use Velcro to hold my computer and weather station in place and does not go anywhere while on the road.
Also built a small fold down work table by my toolbox that comes in handy.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4037 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Curly! I don't think I will have room for any floor mounted tool box in this case. If I lift one dragster, I could do a mobile one under it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
In my opinion look closely at what you bring for tools I tend to carry way to much but I can take my dragster apart with a quarter inch drive kit and a hand full of other tools

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
For the guys who are using all their floor space for race cars etc, how are you storing tools etc? There will be wall cabinets. But for tools, I'm wondering how well that will work. Could make grab/jump boxes with tools in them. Just reaching out for ideas.

Bucky....Not what you are asking for but one idea is. Put your tool box on the slide out tray in the motorhome. Then when ever you make a trip with the motorhome you always have your tools. And you can get to your tools with the trailer loaded up.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1220 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions. We don't always take the MOHO, and we may be transitioning to a gooseneck. We will see how we like the gooseneck. I kind of fell into the gooseneck, and it has room for the cars, golf cart and small living quarters. I really can't do that with the 28' tag.
I will have lots of room for wall cabinets etc. But floor space is super premium.
We can purge some tools and inventory now that we are out of the jr's. But metric is sneaking its way into both of the dragsters.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
You say a small living quarter. Is it already built in. Asking because if you can arrange to have any cabinets that are in LQ then you could have a recessed toolbox built into that if they are setup on the dividing wall.

You said to had fuel jugs over fender. If only one is other fender covered. You could have some small shelves built of hanging wall system.

Question. How many tools do you carry and which are actually needed. I was thinking to day about making a list of every tool used on car and removing those not or multiples of one.

If you are having wall cabinets built that could be you answer. Lots of options there.

I know its not a bracket race thing. I have atool tray that holds most things needed to service car.It fits on top of injector and I have bracket on wall that it rides on. I am know to carry ten times what others carry, but I rarely have to borrow stuff.LOL

Go sit in trailer with radio playing and cpl cold beers and look at it.Something will almost always pop in your head.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
You say a small living quarter. Is it already built in. Asking because if you can arrange to have any cabinets that are in LQ then you could have a recessed toolbox built into that if they are setup on the dividing wall.

You said to had fuel jugs over fender. If only one is other fender covered. You could have some small shelves built of hanging wall system.

Question. How many tools do you carry and which are actually needed. I was thinking to day about making a list of every tool used on car and removing those not or multiples of one.

If you are having wall cabinets built that could be you answer. Lots of options there.

I know its not a bracket race thing. I have atool tray that holds most things needed to service car.It fits on top of injector and I have bracket on wall that it rides on. I am know to carry ten times what others carry, but I rarely have to borrow stuff.LOL

Go sit in trailer with radio playing and cpl cold beers and look at it.Something will almost always pop in your head.

Had a wall that was in the wrong place so we removed. Doing a full remodel. Will place everything in there that rolls, then place the wall. It's a project.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I like plastic storage totes, If need be tie them down with bungee cords. Cheap and work great. And hears a little tip,don't take your snap on or matco tools.Some people won't bring them back. My close friends I just give them the keys and tell then just get what you need and make sure to put it back clean. I do have some hi end tools I will take to make some jobs way easier.More thiefs going in and out of trailers down south. They like to steal nitrous bottles.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I won't even borrow a snap on if I can help it! It might reject me!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not like the idea of a tool box or anything that can easily break loose and roll around. It will head for the car and damage it.

As for stuff getting stolen from the trailer that is a whole different subject. We never used to have to worry about anything now at some places you need to lock up your trailer every time you leave to make a pass.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4037 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post