DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Performance SBC bare block choices?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Performance SBC bare block choices?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted
What's your pick, figuring a 4.125" standard bore space, standard cam location and bearings type build?
And why?
Known issues with oil pan fitment, etc.?

If you have a preference for a source of finished blocks, add that in your comment.

I am just starting to research the modern options.

I kinda like the one with the dowel pins in the mains, but that's just me.

If going faster was the goal, I'd probably lean toward the one that accepts LS heads. Wink

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1727 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Following myself, same scenario. Would like to gather parts to build an identical motor to duplicate the one I have. Very minimal interest in going faster.

Posts: 295 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ve built several with both Dart and Motown blocks. I prefer the Motown. I found it more “user friendly “. Oil pans fit it better when using 4 bolt mains in all 5 positions.

Posts: 509 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I'm having difficulties with the Dart options, dipstick on the wrong side, tall lifter bosses, and such, and haven't been able to see much about the World products except where to buy one, looking hard at the Brodix at this point....

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1727 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Have ya looked into the Brodix blocks-American made but need linebored out of the box-about5-6 hun cheaper that dart oh ya I have Dart but its 19 years old!

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 425 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Goob, I think they all have tall lifter bosses now. Last Motown I did had dipstick on driver side. That’s a part of the user friendly in my opinion.

Posts: 509 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Goob, I think they all have tall lifter bosses now. Last Motown I did had dipstick on driver side. That’s a part of the user friendly in my opinion.

I've just started digging, having a hard time finding much detail on the different Motown stuff.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
Have ya looked into the Brodix blocks-American made but need linebored out of the box-about5-6 hun cheaper that dart oh ya I have Dart but its 19 years old!

Leaning toward the Brodix, I'll consult my machinist before I pull that trigger though. He wants to retire soon, and I don't blame him.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I’ve used World products once and that block was junk in one season. Straight 4 bolt main caps and the main webs cracked right up to the cam journals. The cracks started at the main bolt holes if I recall right. The fractured casting crumbled apart like it was granular sand.
There’s no doubt the owner of that engine had tuning issues as it was EFI on Alcohol but I still felt the block should not have failed like it did. Nothing else was badly damaged and it was running when pulled out of his car.

Dart blocks are great and I did one last year.
Was a new 4.125 bore and dropped an exhaust valve head into one cylinder.
Piston and head heavy damage. Block was ok and went to 4.155 and is running fine after a lot of new parts

I used Bow tie blocks in the past and they were excellent and made a lot of power and were far better than std blocks.

I’d go with a Dart

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Speedmaster. I have had 2 of them, and both were very good quality, and both made north of 1500hp to the crank surviving brutal torture. I believe they also use dowl pins in the main caps.

SST 350R

Posts: 910 | Location: Hebron, Ohio | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the availability of these (all of the brands) blocks right now?

Posts: 295 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
Does anyone know the availability of these (all of the brands) blocks right now?

Maybe never is where it seems to be heading.

I'm digging a little at a time.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a Brodix block 427 and my freshen up showed some main cap walk. There was another there with the same issue. just something to look or ask about.

i have a 406 in a Dart block and never had this issue.

ep

Posts: 776 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:

I've seen quite a few new blocks, all types on DRR facebook market place.

Priced as new from manufacturer (retail), I'd imagine, due to shortages.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Hoskinson:
Speedmaster. I have had 2 of them, and both were very good quality, and both made north of 1500hp to the crank surviving brutal torture. I believe they also use dowl pins in the main caps

I'm gonna buy one soon as they're available. Do a big bore 360 china head hydraulic roller BBC pump gas with 1.9 ratio rockers and solid roller lifters.

I'll have to beat the muscle car crowd off me, trying to buy it after I scream it on the dyno.

The US ship has sailed to china, may as well have some laughs in between the catastrophe.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have had good results from both the Dart Little M and Iron Eagle small blocks. For most people the Little M is probably better choice, it is lighter and requires little custom parts to build a good solid motor.

The Iron Eagle is very heavy and has wider oil pan rails and raised cam. Also comes in a tall deck version. If you are going to build a 434 or smaller I would go with the Little M.

There are some new versions of the Little M with raised cams and other options but do not know the availability of them. But if you can get raised cam and larger cam core it is always a good investment.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4138 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
I have a Brodix block 427 and my freshen up showed some main cap walk. There was another there with the same issue. just something to look or ask about.

i have a 406 in a Dart block and never had this issue.

ep

Interesting, the catalog shows that all the Brodix blocks need the mains align bored / honed.

Dave Cook
N375