DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    DOOR CAR COLLECTOR EXTENSIONS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DOOR CAR COLLECTOR EXTENSIONS
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted
Looking for input on collector extensions in a door car application. In my situation I have a 414 c.i. SBC with Dynatech tube chassis headers that are 2 to 21/8 to a 31/2" collector. Is there any use in playing around with different length extensions on the collectors? Or no extension at all? Thanks for your help LC

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i read somewhere that you need to put a slightly long collector on and mark it with chalk of sorts (lengthwise)then make passes the heat will burn the chalk.where it stops burning is the length you need.i did try it once a long time ago.cant say there was any magic there

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusty,

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1412 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've tried it years ago and found no improvement on the time slip.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Have to agree that there is little improvement to be had, but maximizing each little opportunity is a worthwhile goal. Along with the chalk concept above, paint the collector with cheap white paint and see where the "heat ring" appears.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Cheap paint like Canted Valve said, or a stripe of Grease Pencil is what I used years ago. Changed the sound of the car some, but no measurable difference in time slip performance vs no extension, or long extension.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
In our karting days. It was normal to alter and change pipe lengths. Little KT100's, we would buzz them 14K rpm. 1-2 HP was crucial.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
yeah I have messed with them over the years, saw nothing on the timeslips that were not also a function of track conditions and/or weather. I have to build another set of headers this off season for mine and have some ideas. One of them is sure to make some people mad but I don't care.

If you had a 2 stroke engine, yeah the pipe length, chamber design/shape, everything is real important. 4 stroke is much MUCH less sensitive.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I saw 0 in ET but there may be advantages depending on what you’re trying to accomplish. Torque below stall speed seemed noticeably improved.

I modified my headers to equal length at the same time the extensions were added so not sure if that helped the bottom end, but regardless, unmeasurable on track ET improvement.

Always wanted to try merge collectors but haven’t yet. I have a pair of tri y collectors too but never tried them. They are smaller outlets 3” vs 3.5”.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post