DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    transmission gasket a fluid level
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

transmission gasket a fluid level
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok been having issue with leak at the transmission. Figured ok I made it must be my weld. Beenj cleaning checking and looks more like at gasket. Maybe the over rpiced blue rubber steel enforced gasket. May be fluid level when sitting.

Checked fluid 3 weeks ago at track and was low brought up to below full because that what showed to line with gasket level or slighly below in car with pan off.

Go in traler drop belly pan and pigmat soaked. Check level not running well abv gasket level.

So do I had too damn much fluid? Sorry gasket. Or hwell both. Nothing that will stop me going out sunday. But I am damn tired of the leak even if slow.

Suggestions

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If you using that thick blue Moroso pan gasket throw it in the trash. Buy a Felpro and don't look back. I put a light coat of grease on both sides so it don't stick when removing the pan.
Full mark on the dipstick should line up with the pan rail on the case

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
If you using that thick blue Moroso pan gasket throw it in the trash. Buy a Felpro and don't look back. I put a light coat of grease on both sides so it don't stick when removing the pan.
Full mark on the dipstick should line up with the pan rail on the case

Good to know about the gasket. I suppose the level rises when not running and the cooler drains into the pan?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Check the seal on/around the dipstick tube. May be leaking there and running down. Kevin

Posts: 197 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Farpak pan gaskets are the best and are pretty cheap. Buy them a half dozen at a time and replace it every time you change the fluid/filter. Never had any pan leaks using the Farpak.

Buy them from tsr-racing.com

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Look close at the shift shaft seal. I chased what I thought was a pan gasket leak for a long time only to find it was that seal.
Also, I ended up putting two seals in the case to stop mine from leaking. adding the second seal has become a normal procedure every time I build a transmission now.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Kind of what I am thinking Bucky
Pan should still not be leaking
So guess trash over priced pos gasket
Always had a very minor leak. Just stupid leak now Was few drops un the car. Now could swim in it
ok maybe not be that bad byt pissing me off

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Now that you mention the dipstick tube, not the driver. It was out few weeks back. The shuft arm was too when checking transmission for trouble with transbrake not holding and found leaky reap piston seal. I can see either of these as having been the minro leak. Thinking gasket is major leak problem.

Fun fun till somebody takes your race car away.

Man whole series of replies without bs comment about my cheap non bracket racing what ever. Not sure how to act. LOL

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I don’t think I’ve ever had a racing powerglide that didn’t leave a few drops on the floor below. I assumed the cast aluminum pans are porous or something.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
well if pan it is all on me the manufacture.LOL

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I don’t think I’ve ever had a racing powerglide that didn’t leave a few drops on the floor below. I assumed the cast aluminum pans are porous or something.

I figured I need to put a belly pan on for the trans. Mine are all like Harleys.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Good thing about fed I already have belly pan,olus layer of pig mat.

I did find twom pin holes at flange welds
Thats on me and what I have been chassing for while.

Now it should not be that high of fluid level. That is from the cooler drain back. Solution. I and going to sort of pee-trap it. Loop line up and highe than cooler, will not stop leak tonight as can not fire up. OPulling some fluid out to lower level and put it back in at track tomorrow.

Going to see what the hell else I can break, Not laughing out loud at all.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Will still be changing gasket
this thing feels mushy for lack of better wording. After tightening pretty tight it seems to have loosened up maybe one or two flats.