DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    passing cable thru roll bar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

passing cable thru roll bar
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Have not found an answer one way or other on this. I would like to make a small pass thru on roll cage, using a welded in tube maybe 3/8 to 5/8 max size/ Anyone know where its legal or flat out no no. Other option would be thru shoulder hoop passing from the ****pit to rear/Pretty sure that is legal and would require a doubler around opening if to large. I know there is size and can find if going that route

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What type of chassis what SFI spec I’m going for to get my car chassis certed tomorrow I could ask the guy I e trying to run cable thru upright or trying to go thru main hoop

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
It is sfi 2.2c which is for front engine dragster/ Just ask him if running a cable thru a welded in a piece of molly tubing that passes thru the front roll cage bar would be legal.

I will probably never need a cert on this car but it is built to spec and would hate to do something stupid that would screw it up if needed.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Asked the guy today said he was not sure and didn’t have time today but did say he has never seen done on anything above the shoulder hoop he does see often thru uprights below shoulder hoop

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea thru hoop requires a doubler to reinforce the tube. I do not see it changing anything strength wise, but rule interpretation might not agree if there is one.

Thanks for asking .

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Asked the guy today said he was not sure and didn’t have time today but did say he has never seen done on anything above the shoulder hoop he does see often thru uprights below shoulder hoop

I see that often and my car has pass through in the lower frame rail, shoulder hoop and several uprights.

I went to the spec and it only addresses pass through's in the frame, shoulder hoop, and uprights. It says nothing about them in the cage.
If my memory is correct I remember seeing a tube pass through the forward hoop on a dragster, but it wasn't up for certification. (heck it was so old I don't think it ever had been). Parachute release cable pass through.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post