DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Any Mopar gurus here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Mopar gurus here?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted
Just wondering about my engine. It is a 440, currently iron heads, Holley Street Dominator intake, 750DP carb Comp .555 lift cam. I forget the duration of the cam, basically the old DC .557 cam 10:1 compression just used for bracket racing.

Changing to Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. I am just wondering about the intake. Not a lot is available for the RB engines, and I am wondering what intake would work best with this combination.

Posts: 153 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
That cam has 252 degrees @.050. installed @ 108 intake center line. L/S is 110.
With all that being said, I would run a Edelbrock Victor manifold if your sticking with the 4150 carb, if going to use a 4500, then it would be a super victor.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1301 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
David Covey probably chime in if not hit him up.He runs a Wedge.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4334 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mopar M1 single plane in either 4150 or 4500

Posts: 18 | Location: PENNA. | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
edelbrock victor manifold has worked well for me.

Posts: 9 | Location: york pa | Registered: July 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Had an M1 on a set of stage VI heads with a touch bigger cam, was pretty happy with the setup

Posts: 557 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I will defer to Joe (sr4440) he ran/runs a wedge also. Plus he has a dyno and has run stuff on there that he will have better info on.
The last time I ran a 440 was back in 1995 and it had indy heads with their intake.
I was at Joe's shop a few weeks back when we ran a 440 he had bought. Pretty mild combination in my opinion and it made something like 450 hp. All I can remember is it was 12.5-1, flat tappet cam single 4 bbl on 91 pump gas. It actually did not make any more power when we ran it on 110.
Here is something to watch..

Edit. Go to Engine Masters on utube. They have done several intake and heads shows that give some info on what they are doing. If you are looking for in depth, they don't really get there. but, for some insight it's all good.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3315 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The old SD aint exactly a bad intake with some work.

The Victor intake is a decent enough one as well. The TrickFlow intake seems to be a very good option these days as are their heads for lower end builds.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 1006 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
M1 seems to have nicer casting quality from what I've seen, and you can get one at any swap meet. I ran a Victor at one point, and liked how it lacked webbing between the front runners and the back runners. Doesn't sound like you're trying to break records, any would likely be an improvement over what you have.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
An M1 would be nice, like hens teeth up here though. should have gotten one years ago, but the car sat for about 15 years. Didnt know that Trick Flow made intakes for the 440, looks very similar to the Victor. I was just not sure if a Victor would be too much just judging from the listed RPM range.

My current intake is working fine with the stock iron heads, but was thinking it might be a bit small once putting on the Edlebrock heads.

Posts: 153 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 69dart
posted Hide Post
Depends on your hood clearance. The trick flow and victor intakes are pretty tall and just slightly faster.

The old Edelbrock TM6 is probably the best match for your combo. I see them on ebay and marketplace pretty often.

The M1 has poor fuel distribution at lower rpm and can be difficult to cold start but makes about the same power. I've tried them all and have a cabinet full.

Always run a mopar 4150 intakes with a 1" spacer.

Posts: 27 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
TM6 is for 383/400 . TM7 is for 440 . Good intake. if I was going to Edelbrock heads I would go with a dominator intake and 1050 .

Posts: 1252 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
Don’t consider myself the “guru” of anything, but I have been around for a while and learned a couple of things during that time span… Big Grin

If you already have the Street Dominator intake and you will be staying in the 440 CI range, with the Eddies; I would port match and clean it up a little in the plenum and use it. However if you would like to change over to a TM7, I have a couple in the shop I would part with. Send a PM for details.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Kathe:

If you already have the Street Dominator intake and you will be staying in the 440 CI range, with the Eddies; I would port match and clean it up a little in the plenum and use it.

Ok, thanks! Yes, no changes other than the heads. .030 over 440 with that Comp solid cam.
All the old articles showed the old street dominator to be equal to anything that was out at the time, maybe 10HP less than a M1 then, but better than most others.

Just to the eye, it looks so small that I always thought it might hold an engine back. Havent seen any new comparison tests on any newer manifolds, which is why I just thought there might be something that is a lot better. Since the car is just for bracket racing, a few HP isn't worth chasing unless some amazing deal falls into my lap Smile

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The M1 will go a little more hp than the SD , Victor more again . The Victor on my 440 was 10-15HP over a M1 with 1"open spacer , kept height the same . This was using the same 4150 carb and all else the same . Biggest thing i found was cyl head choice .Stock port very mild port matched aluminium head ran 11.20s or 30s . CNC version of same head was 11.00s best of 10.88 . With 4500 not much gain at all as i believe port size was the restriction . When i went to Trickflow 270 , max wedge , the motor went 10.70 best sat high 70s low 80s . Was same result on my 505 wedge , about 0.25 in et plus mph . From 10.50s@ 126 to 10.25@ 131 . The 440 has 258@050 .520 nett lift , 505 272@050 .600 nett lift . Both run pump gas , street exhaust . And car is a heavy B body . The 440 shifted @ 6000 , 505 @ 6000 0r 6500 . Dependant on converter/transmission

Tex

Posts: 68 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
Interesting numbers! You mentioned a 4150, which one? In your opinion, would a different manifold reesult in anything on a timeslip?

When I do switch to the Edelbrock heads, I know I will have to spend time track tuning the engine. Right now, I can feel it fall off at about 5200 so I have been shifting there. I did try to 6000 when I first changed to this cam, and there was nothing gained shifing higher.

I am sure a looser converter would help some, this one is a TCS 10 inch 3500 advertized stall for a 727. Although it did run 12.6's in a small block Dart. My Friend gave this one to me when he switched to a 904.

I did find a more recent article the other night, and it showed a mildly worked street dominator was 636 hp @6200 and the untouched Victor was 637 hp @6400. That engine was hotter than mine though, with heavily ported 915 heads with 2.25/1.81 valves and a 650 lift 260/258 cam.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I ran a BG 825 Mighty Demon then a Prosystems HP1000 . HP1000 was a bit quicker and more consistant . I wouldnt run a 750 unless class mandated or a stockish street motor
I started with a 4200 vert then went to a 4800 was a lot quicker . That vert stalled @ 5000 behind the 505 . New A1 vert for transbrake was 5700 with stock port/4150 combo 6000 with Maxwedge/4500 . Hurt this vert and just had it serviced and restalled to what i hope is 5700ish with Max Wedge top end
The Eddy head should flow more than your iron heads so thats a gain . As a tight arse i would use the SD initially to see where you are going . If motor is fading @ 5200 see if it helps with better head and try bigger carb .
By the way Hot Rod did a Mopar intake comparison a few years ago , it was on a 383 but give a good guideline i feel .
https://www.motortrend.com/how...ke-manifold-comparo/
https://www.motortrend.com/how...ar-intake-manifolds/

Tex

Posts: 68 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post