Hello all and Happy New Year.
New build is close to being done for the 2023 season. Thought maybe I'd share the build process start to finish for anyone that is interested.
October of 2020 I had a bad top end crash while running a class called 8.50 index. The car made a hard left past the finish line, hit the Jersey wall with the left front corner and barrel rolled 7 times at 150 mph. I don't know the cause as I was knocked out for a moment and have no memories of the run. Thankfully I had very minimal injuries with a mild concussion, bruise on my left thigh, normal soreness/stiffness and I either broke my tail bone or severely bruised it.
12 hours in the Hospital for testing and on the ride home started thinking about rebuilding/replacing the car. Two weeks later the car was brought home and with inspection it was clear it was beyond repair.
Here is a walk around video at my buddies garage.
I found a roller and once I was not feeling like I was gonna pass out from bending over, go to work. A good friend did a rendering for me showing what the car would hopefully look like when done.
It was at the point the build was back from paint that I decided that maybe I would want to step away from 1/4 mile 8.50 racing as the restrictor plate deal I used to slow the car was a pain at times. The decision was made to equip the car with a delay box and try to learn how to top bulb race here locally. I have raced for 27+ years, but have zero experience racing top bulb but looking forward to the challenge and learning as I go.This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fabman,
Here is how the car sits today. About 85% done, have a list of things to finish up this winter to be ready for spring.
I was able to salvage the engine, transmission, torque converter, and center section to reuse in the new car. The electronics, fuel system, and rear end housing were all that I was able to salvage and sell, pretty much everything else was sent to the scrap yard.
Tear down and cutting...
Setting up the body on the fixture table...
Rust and damage...
My racing buddies started to call the car "Rustang". lol
I kept cutting till there was no more.
Rather than repair the factory front frame rails, I decided to make my own from scratch.
There was an issue found where Ford had spot welded the lower frame section to the chassis, so it had to go as well.
Body media blasted clean.
My advice to you if you want to shorten your learning curve by years and win sooner than later is to contact Bud Mcnasby and Lee Zane. These 2 guys have helped many. That said, I nor my son have used their service, I taught my son everything he knows and his results speak for themselves.
While the work had started, parts started to coming in...
|DRR / Crew
Pretty bad looking little hot rod! Thanks for sharing!
Man, sweet ride!!!
Wheel/tire mockup to measure for rear housing width.
Starting on the housing. Bare housing is 3 1/2" axle tube chromoly from Mittler Bros. 4 link brackets from Tin Soldiers race cars.
That's a good idea, for sure.
Worth every penny, do it so I can get my commission
Kidding, I have no affiliation with Bud or Lee.
I will also tell you to set up the car so it gets down the worse track on the worse day. Set it and forget it with the exception of a front shock adjustment to control the wheelie. Also keep the hood closed on race day, no between round tuning for performance.
WOW, Beautiful!! I’m impressed and like that you chose mpfi, excellent choice. Is that Holley? If Yes, Dominator? th400 ?
New home for a couple months, the back shop at work so I can do the tube work after hours and weekends.
Agreed. I'm tired of chasing the tuneup. lol
That was done for one reason. The old SV565 intake and dominator carb wouldn't clear the 4" Sunoco style cowl. I refused to cut a hole in the hood or run a forward facing hood scoop. I wanted a nice low cowl to be able to see over easily.
So off came the SV565 and a 2927 Super Victor took it's place along with a Wilson throttle body. Those two changes alone saved over 2" in height which gave ample room under the hood for the engine to breathe. The EFI ECU is the Holley Dominator.
Yes, the trans is a Coan 400xlt with a 1.86/1.31 3 speed planetary.
|Powered by Social Strata
|Page 1 2 3 4 ... 14