DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    onan dying no codes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

onan dying no codes
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted
any ideas dies like kill button pushed,no codes going to change filter.but odd no code

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Oil low?

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
No oil and water good i have code 33 now.appears to be over heat.going trouble shooting.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My pit neighbors onan is doing the same thing. He says it’s overheating. Ironically his spare (Predator) generator is doing the same thing.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5312 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
What model....
How many KW..
Gas or diesel...

Info off the I.D. Label tells me what you have and each unit has certain things they tend to do...

Overheat on any Onan will be a ONE blink code that repeats over and over.

TWO blinks is low oil pressure...

THREE blinks....Push stop ONE time to read why it shut down...

No blinks....Difficult to say without knowing what machine you have.....

The I.D. Label is near the start stop switch and also usually somewhere along the base of the machine...

The heat is a real problem on generators....especially the air cooled units.....they don't like it !! LOL

I've been super busy this week fixing machines......Today was a 100% good day.....fixed em all....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Fuel pump maybe? Mine primed and ran for a few before giving up. I noticed the problem when it didn't prime once. Changed the pump and now we're back in business. Just a thought.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Rich, I’ll find out in the morning and post that info. Thanks

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5312 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Fuel pumps are definitely high on the failure list on Onan’s. But there are other issues as well.

Control boards very high on that list especially in hot weather.

Random mystery shutdowns....can be either of those 2 things.

Fuel pumps are cheap, boards are not.

I often advise people to change both just to avoid the problems.

Intermittent shutdowns in hot weather. You change one thing and it ends up being the other.

Also machines installed poorly and hot air gets drawn back in on the fresh air side.

Trailer and MH Builders don’t address this problem as it needs to be many times. Seen it on brand new trailers and other vehicles.

Liquid cooled diesel units are not really much of a problem in that area.

The air cooled gas units are !!!

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
ok guys here is what happened.shut down three separate time,just shut off like hit kill switch.after third time i did get a code 33.this is a diesel 7.5 water cooled.last week had to ut filter on mh,so i changed fuel filter,changed oil and filter,ulled to checked belt and good blow down.blew out air filter,going to order new in a little bit.added fuel additive to tank.been running for a good while now.will know thw truth tommorrow

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
It just doesn't like the high altitude in Denver lol

BTW good luck this weekend, your way overdue for a Wally

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
steve this is the first time this has seen this while i have owned it,and you may be right

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
There is NO 33 fault code in an Onan Service Manual...

You are probably misinterpreting the 3 as a 33

When a machine shuts down in a fault it will show 3 blinks, pause and repeat

Next you push STOP once and it will show you the fault code that it shut down for.

7.5's are INVERTER/GENERATORS...
The control unit and inverter are all in a sealed unit....NOT repairable or serviceable and has no adjustments.

You can retrieve the last fault code shutdown on an Onan by pushing stop 3 times.....

Sometimes the light fails on the rocker switch and might be why you got no blinking light.....If it has a remote start/stop switch, look at that one to see what it might show.

Again for anyone with an Onan that shuts down on its own...

A single blink, pause and repeat.....OVERHEAT....on a 7.5 or a 10/12 it broke the water pump drivebelt.....almost guarantee it....I fixed a 10 yesterday...

Two blinks, pause and repeat...………...LOW OIL PRESSURE.....pretty much never happens unless your out of oil !

3 blinks, pause and repeat......PUSH STOP ONCE and read that series of blinks....It will be a sequence of 2 separate sets of blinks, pause and repeat...

You can recall the last fault it shut down on by pushing STOP 3 times.....It should show the 3 sequence and then push stop once to see the actual fault shutdown

Even with a fault code diagnosing the problem is not always clear.....It's a process.....!!!

I've been working on Onan's for over 20 years......Around 2000-2001 all their machines changed completely.....The old design stuff has next to nothing similar to the newer.

Completely different machines

7.5 Diesels are the most common Diesel and have been made since the later 90's...….and they are great but do some really crazy things and repairs are costly....very costly....!!!

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thanks rich ,died again today will look at all this again tomorrow,to many ii
issues for the the heat

1.036, 6.16@ 224