DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tire/wheel questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire/wheel questions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Anyone who has a 70/81 camaro,in particular 75 and newer. How big or what size wheel tire combo can you fit on the back without narrowing the rear and installing a back half? I have a 77 camaro I have owned for 38 years. Been parked for last 12years and now I want to do something with it. Thinking about selling my tube chassis Vega and building the camaro. Plan is for a multi use car. Something that can run box no box footbrake and maybe 10.90 super street. I would like to not back half car but will wait until I get into it and see what shape it’s in before I make that decision. Mostly just thinking out loud now. Thanks for any advise offered.

Posts: 511 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
10 x 28 is all ya need. My Nova has dipped in the 5's N/A sbc on a 10 x 28 tire, been double 0's on a .370 pro tree and won seven Super Pro Championships in ten years on a ten inch tire.

There's a guy local I street raced with in the eighties, Super Pro bracket raced with in the ninety's up to two thousand eight. He's probably made a couple hundred grand or more Super Pro bracket racing on a 10 x 28 tire 1980 Camaro. His son made it to four cars in the million dollar bracket race couple years ago on a 10 x 28 tire. There's nothing better than winning a Super Pro bracket race on a small tire, nothing. It's pure performance. It don't matter the prep they use today, it's light years better than in the past anyway. Don't worry about it, build the 1977 Camaro, that's a good year still an American car before they went metric. Shocks and converter.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What kind of suspension does the nova have. How consistent is it or can you just drive?

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The plan for now is a ford nine inch rear end swap. Cal tracs with the springs they recommend and rebuild front suspension with good bushings and parts. Use the sbc/glide I have now and go from there. That all depends on how things look once I start on it. A very large part of the trunk floor is rusted away. I am afraid the “frame rail “ section on the right side is beyond use. If that is the case I will most likely back half the car.

Posts: 511 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66belair:
What kind of suspension does the nova have. How consistent is it or can you just drive?

It's a 9" Ford ladder bar with a set of Ohlins piggy back cannister TTX 36 rear, stock frame rail Tubular A - Arm with Strange double adjustable dampers front. It's basically a stock Nova with the passenger front and rear seat out in the same condition I street raced it 30 years ago, plus a good set of dampers front, rear and a delay box. I've probably raced it 5 or 6 times since 2008. Back then we raced so much there was no time for pictures but I have a couple which evidence consistency. Florida Super Pro bracket racing it's gotta be consistent.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
15 or better total,you can be competitive anywhere I'd imagine. It's doable on a 10" tire.
Shocks and converter