DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alky carb/Gas carb swap
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Alky carb/Gas carb swap
 Login/Join
 
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted
Other than draining the tank, if you have belt drive fuel system with a return style regulator set to x lbs of fuel pressure on alky, and wanted to swap carbs to compare , what other changes if any would you have to make? I.E. max fuel pressure etc. HMMMM


Michael Frizie
ET 2471
 
Posts: 578 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
remove foam from cell, use correct fuel filter and get a lean out valve.get it up to 180* before you park it for the day.
 
Posts: 42 | Location: HOLLEY,NY,USA | Registered: September 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
My bad. Should've specified i'm already running methanol. thinking of trying a gas carb in the future. Pressure is pressure right?


Michael Frizie
ET 2471
 
Posts: 578 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
You would need to change to a finer element in your fuel filter. I have different elements for the same filter I swap out.



____________________________
2017 and 2018 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion

2018 Div4 Goodguys Hammer award winner
 
Posts: 2987 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CURTIS REED:
You would need to change to a finer element in your fuel filter. I have different elements for the same filter I swap out.


If you are just trying it for a day, is it worth changing the filter? If you planned on leaving it on for a long weekend or a few weeks then sure, change it out.. But for one day, i.e. a few passes leave it alone I would say and drop the fuel pressure down to 7-8psi with the regulator and let it rip.


Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3
 
Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I run the same setup filter wise. I have the big Ron’s filter. Works for me.


Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
 
Posts: 5319 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
quote:
Originally posted by CURTIS REED:
You would need to change to a finer element in your fuel filter. I have different elements for the same filter I swap out.


If you are just trying it for a day, is it worth changing the filter? If you planned on leaving it on for a long weekend or a few weeks then sure, change it out.. But for one day, i.e. a few passes leave it alone I would say and drop the fuel pressure down to 7-8psi with the regulator and let it rip.


Nope. Didn't realize it was just for a day. Good call.



____________________________
2017 and 2018 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion

2018 Div4 Goodguys Hammer award winner
 
Posts: 2987 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
quote:
Originally posted by CURTIS REED:
You would need to change to a finer element in your fuel filter. I have different elements for the same filter I swap out.


If you are just trying it for a day, is it worth changing the filter? If you planned on leaving it on for a long weekend or a few weeks then sure, change it out.. But for one day, i.e. a few passes leave it alone I would say and drop the fuel pressure down to 7-8psi with the regulator and let it rip.


Too much fuel pressure, looking for 6 or so at WOT. If you need more than this you have issues or the wrong needle & seat in the bowls.
 
Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
I only run 6lbs on alcohol. But it seems fuel pressure is something that is all over the map for people.



____________________________
2017 and 2018 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion

2018 Div4 Goodguys Hammer award winner
 
Posts: 2987 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Too much fuel pressure, looking for 6 or so at WOT. If you need more than this you have issues or the wrong needle & seat in the bowls.

this^^^
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Too much fuel pressure, looking for 6 or so at WOT. If you need more than this you have issues or the wrong needle & seat in the bowls.

this^^^


I agree 100% .... 5.5-6.0 PSI is plenty , which means less fuel aeration as well
 
Posts: 785 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned about your system having enough bypass capability. You are switching to gas which will use approx. half as much fuel. Can your bypass system handle twice the amount of fuel?
 
Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
You may want to add some timing to get a better result.


Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports
 
Posts: 261 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
You may want to add some timing to get a better result.


Forgot about this, timing could be slightly different or could be similar to alky setup, definitely want to play with it though.

Where do you have your timing set at currently?


Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3
 
Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
adjust the psi and send it btdt
 
Posts: 1245 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
You may want to add some timing to get a better result.


Forgot about this, timing could be slightly different or could be similar to alky setup, definitely want to play with it though.

Where do you have your timing set at currently?


34


Michael Frizie
ET 2471
 
Posts: 578 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys run fuel filters ?? Confused
 
Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Deniker:
Some of you guys run fuel filters ?? Confused


whats that? Laughing Hard


Michael Frizie
ET 2471
 
Posts: 578 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
all things equal it will run the same on both in cool and and faster on alky in heat just my rwo cents


honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

 
Posts: 1421 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Gas to methanol, I had to use a different spark plug.
 
Posts: 528 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alky carb/Gas carb swap

© DragRaceResults.com 2024