Find
Notify
Tools

Motorhome
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
roof sealer, what have you used?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Make sure you use a product that’s compatible with the type of roof your coach has.

I like Dicor products as well as Eternabond seam tape. I did the front and rear cap seam with Eternabond when we got our pusher and hope to never worry about leaks in those areas.

Posts: 739 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. The roof is one piece aluminum or sheet metal. Plan is to just coat the perimeter, 4-6” from the edge and around all penetrations, AC, vents, etc. not the entire roof.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What ever you use just make sure not to build product up to high to cause low spots that will become puddles and not let water run off very common problem then sitting water finds is way in

Posts: 415 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
You may laugh, but I just redid the roof of my trailer and used flex seal....that stuff plain works....I got the brush on version but their tape looks like it will work good too...same deal, just the edges all the way around.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1520 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You’re not the first that has told me that this week.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
This is what i used, fiberglass roof though

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1546 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Manus bond worked for me.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5331 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dicor roof sealant.

They have self leveling and non. I use both in appropriate areas.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
What ever you use just make sure not to build product up to high to cause low spots that will become puddles and not let water run off very common problem then sitting water finds is way in

I have wondered about that. Obviously the seam around the outside is where the attention is mostly needed. Build that up, and how does the water get off the roof?

I bought a used trailer that had the seam around the outside failed. I used dicor self leveling caulk. Works well, but seams (no pun) that maybe there is more that should be done.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6442 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I'll ask my friend what he used on my MH and trailer. My trailer stays 15 degrees cooler than before he coated it. It's 2 parts, primer then sealer.

Posts: 638 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
That eterna bond tape is unbelievable…we use it around vents coming thru restaurant roofs….you put it on it ain’t coming off

Posts: 1275 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Dicor works real nice.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dicor products as well as Eternabond seam tape

so far Dicor seems to be the favorite. Others include Eterna bond seam tape, Flex Seal which Chris Gulitti used...

quote:
Originally posted May 11, 2019 10:56 AM by TORQIN:
I have used the flex seal...the motorhome roofs "flex" quite a bit going down ruff roads. The flex seal seemed to work "for the day" but quickly cracked and leaked pretty soon after using the flex seal. Tried it multiple times in the same spot with flex seal and it just kept cracking after days in the sun and usage of the motorhome.

Finally called a mobile RV repair guy and the stuff he used nearly 2 years ago has kept it sealed. He did remove all other sealants before he did the work. He said the sealer would be available at most RV repair places and stuff was very flexible looking before and after it was applied.

and Henry's Tropi-cool which a friend recommended and is also recomended on RV websites, it is 100% silcone.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Dicor is tough to work with but works well. I've used it a few times

VERY sticky and messy stuff to say the least

Gloves are a must and some rags and solvent to clean up

I had my MH done last year by an RV place I do business with

84 RV rentals....Used to be Raewoood...same owner, great people and they resealed around everything up top and washed the roof first.

I don't know what they used but I supplied them with Dicor and they did not use it.

I thought I had a leak and may have but it's a non issue now...

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes Dicor is a mess.....have some denatured mineral spirits handy. Stuff just flat works great though.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, I would be careful with any silicon product, for fiberglass roofs it's not a good choice.

Posts: 2163 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
etera bond tape is great apply it and roll it. also used the dicor self leveling sealer works well

Posts: 418 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, my roof is one piece either galvanized steel or aluminum.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
i used this on my metal roof fifth wheel , just roll on. https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK...ted-Warranty/3013309

Posts: 1258 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post