DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Towing Gooseneck with 2500HD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Towing Gooseneck with 2500HD
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hello All,
I am looking to upgrade trailers this off season and have been looking at the goosenecks with small living quarters.
I currently have a 2011 GMC 2500HD Duramax with 8' bed that I now tow a 32' bumper pull with. The truck is bone stock and with now suspension upgrades.
Has anyone have/had any experience with towing a 42'to 48' gooseneck with living quarters with a similar style truck??

Big Sexy!!

Posts: 5 | Location: King George Va. | Registered: September 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
It will tow it, just hope you don't get into a panic stop situation.
Lots of folks will tell you they do it with out problem though.

My brother had a 48' living qtr trailer and had a single wheel dodge. He bragged about how good it pulled the trailer until he used my dually. He went and bought a dually pretty quick after.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
Used to have a f350 single and pulled a 34 ft bumper. it would sway and get sucked when a tractor trailer went by. would porpoise a little when hit decent sized dips in the road. It got better when I put air bags on.so with your 2500 I would highly suggest a set of Firestone air bags and a really good trailer brake system so you don't need to rely on the truck to always stop the trailer. A quick slow down will almost always warp your front rotors also. Also to chime in on the above post I too moved to a dually and will never go back to a single rear. JMO

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Everyone that responded hit the nail on the head. Pulling the trailer shouldn't be a problem (unless you get into a high wind area) but stopping it in a panic moment probably will be. My sons Chevy dually eats front rotors pulling his 34 ft. fifth wheel trailer.

Just be safe, do whatever is necessary to improve the braking would be a solid investment.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Big,

Just as everyone has stated, it's kind of like having a "matched set" like cam, lifters, cylinder heads, carb, etc, they need to be pretty well matched.
If you're going for a goose neck get the correct tow vehicle (matched set).
One good panic stop and you will be thankful you did.
Eek

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Worst part is gone be when you blow a rear tire....dually all the way IMO....

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Dually all the way for anything over 34'

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post