DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Anyone use 'sliders' on their leaf springs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use 'sliders' on their leaf springs?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Does anyone run sliders on the back ends of their leaf springs, in lieu of spring shackles?

I see them recommended by a few of the YouTube pundits, and they seem to make sense.

I'm still using the stock shackles on my stock, multi-leaf springs and have thought of installing new polyurethane shackles to maybe free up the rear suspension some, improving responsiveness. That would be a little faster and less 'invasive' perhaps than installing sliders.

Either choice is not very expensive I think.

Thanks guys,
T.

Posts: 338 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
IMO for what you are doing, stock shackles are fine. Make sure the bolts & pivot points are well lubed, move freely, and not over tightened. I know I’ve said it before but I would start at the front suspension & work my way back if I were you... FWIW, I run 3” drop multi leafs with the overload spring, stock shackles, with Smith Racecraft “Assassin” bars, and Strange single adjustable shocks. My truck repeats well for the shytbox it is.

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If it was my car I would not use the sliders or spend much money on the stock type suspension.

I would run it as it is as long as possible and then when it comes time where you have to do something then go with good 4 link or ladder bar type suspension and coil overs.

I just do not see spending much money on it when eventually you are still going to have to change out rear suspension IMHO.

I have a friend he has plenty of money and asked a bunch of racers what to do with his racecar. Everyone of us told him to back half it with big tires. So he decides he is going with small tire and Caltracks. His tires do not last long and if track is not just perfect he can not get down the track. Now he is going to back half his car so he wasted all that time and money trying to work with stock type suspension. He probably spent almost as much money on the stock type suspension and still going to have to change. Now if you are racing stock class and required to run it then that is different but other than that I would just wait and back half it. My opinion.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Ah, sounds like sound advice from a couple of very successful racers; thank you.

Will just use my stock shackles for now then, but will see if they're binding at all.

I'm in the market for a different race car that's already been back-halfed, caged, etc.
Thx again.

Posts: 338 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Whenever the discussion of mini trucks in bracket racing comes up, two words always come up for me: Kevin Pollard. I don't have the slightest idea what his setup is, but I do know that whatever he is doing works...extremely well. Might bear looking at. Just saying. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
Whenever the discussion of mini trucks in bracket racing comes up, two words always come up for me: Kevin Pollard. I don't have the slightest idea what his setup is, but I do know that whatever he is doing works...extremely well. Might bear looking at. Just saying. Take care. Tom Worthington

Thanks, Tom; I'll do a search on him.
Troy

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Someone that never heard of Kevin Polard? Hard to believe.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Someone that never heard of Kevin Polard? Hard to believe.

I lead a sheltered life. Hell, until I got on here I'd never heard of even Ed Big ley. ;^)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bad Nusz,