DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    starting line enhancer on tunnel ram intake
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

starting line enhancer on tunnel ram intake
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a Bickel chassis car that uses a very small cable to connect the throttle pedal to the carb linkage. I want to install an enhancer but I'm not real sure how to do it. The distance between the back of the intake where the linkage connects to the cable and the pedal is real short. I'm not real sure a throttle stop is short enough to fit.

Let me know if you have accomplished this and post some pictures if you have.

thanks

Posts: 204 | Location: Lenoir | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
On door cars, it is common to turn the carb around and have the cable go all the way around the front to put the enhancer on the other side.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3185 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
this is a dual carb setup. Acually it is a dual throttle body set up. I think I may be able to install the throttle stop between the 2 throttle bodies. Thanks for your reply.

Posts: 204 | Location: Lenoir | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That’s what I was going to ask. Can you hook up to the front carb?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6427 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
i really need to be more clear.

This is a 737 5 inch bore space engine. It has a CFE intake that has 2 throttle bodies on it. The linkage comes down on the left side of the intake at the rear close to the fire wall. Bickel installed the very short cable through the fire wall that connects the pedal to the linkage. I'm hoping a Biondo throttle stop will fit in there but I'm not sure it will.

Anybody have any experience with my situation?

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Originally I had a rod off the throttle pedal to an air cylinder attached to the linkage. I wanted to get away from the throttle rod and back to a cable system so I had to reconfigure the air cylinder so that when I hit the bump button, my throttle pedal could be at the floor and the engine still at an idle.

This is the system I fabricated. It took a little bit to figure out exactly how to get it set up but it works perfectly.

CO2 is always going to the cylinder to keep it retracted. Cylinder is connected to 1 bellcrank at the back which is controlled by the throttle cable at the bottom. When the CO2 is dumped, spring pressure pulls the butterflies closed. There is linkage on the other side joining the toilets together. When CO2 is put back into the cylinder, it snaps back into the retracted position and pulls both toilets back to WOT.

The hardest part was figuring out where to connect everything to get it to work. I was thinking of putting the air cylinder in place of the vertical rod but there just wasn't enough room.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1355 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlkyIROC:
Originally I had a rod off the throttle pedal to an air cylinder attached to the linkage. I wanted to get away from the throttle rod and back to a cable system so I had to reconfigure the air cylinder so that when I hit the bump button, my throttle pedal could be at the floor and the engine still at an idle.

This is the system I fabricated. It took a little bit to figure out exactly how to get it set up but it works perfectly.

CO2 is always going to the cylinder to keep it retracted. Cylinder is connected to 1 bellcrank at the back which is controlled by the throttle cable at the bottom. When the CO2 is dumped, spring pressure pulls the butterflies closed. There is linkage on the other side joining the toilets together. When CO2 is put back into the cylinder, it snaps back into the retracted position and pulls both toilets back to WOT.

The hardest part was figuring out where to connect everything to get it to work. I was thinking of putting the air cylinder in place of the vertical rod but there just wasn't enough room.

How have you got the bell crank connected?

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
There are heim joints screwed onto the studs for the toilet mounting. One on both sides. There's a shaft that runs through them with splines on both ends for the bellcrank arms to slid onto. Stops on one side to keep the shaft in place.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I doubt that you have room under your dash, but you can always put the throttle stop on the other end of the cable.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
I don't have a picture but with my hat I put my SLE between the hat linkage and a bellcrank and brought the cable around from the front.

Walt

Posts: 56 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post