DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    CV Shaft for a 4 link dragster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CV Shaft for a 4 link dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I'm seeing alot of dragsters these days with the CV shaft driveshafts replacing a conventional drive shaft/yoke combination. I've heard of 2 manufacturers making these things, Goethe and Mark Williams are the two names i've seen that are suppling these for 4 link dragsters.

Anyone know of another company supplying these CV shaft conversions for 4 link dragsters?

Thanks.

Posts: 376 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting on one for my new car presently. Goethe is my car builders preferred choice but I don't know what Brett's problem is. I haven't had any luck with him responding to a message I left on his facebook page a month ago and the builder has called and left messages as well. I'm ok with a Mark Williams setup as I don't think the price is much different between the two but it would be interesting to see if someone else is getting in the game. When I was ordering my center section from Moser I casually mentioned it might be a good fit for their company.

Posts: 197 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I had a MW CV shaft on my blown TD for 3 years. Never had a single problem with it and they actually answer their phone Monday thru Friday

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Undertaker II:
I'm waiting on one for my new car presently. Goethe is my car builders preferred choice but I don't know what Brett's problem is. I haven't had any luck with him responding to a message I left on his facebook page a month ago and the builder has called and left messages as well. I'm ok with a Mark Williams setup as I don't think the price is much different between the two but it would be interesting to see if someone else is getting in the game. When I was ordering my center section from Moser I casually mentioned it might be a good fit for their company.

I believe many have reported the same communication issues with Bret. I would go MW, like Steve said they actually answer the phone. Why spend your money with someone you can’t get ahold of?

Posts: 716 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mark Williams' commitment was 3 weeks when I placed the order, as stated they answer the phone anytime you call. I expedited the delivery to next day air and received the shaft exactly 3 weeks from the day I placed the order. The are a tad expensive but the parts are absolutely awesome. Delivered at 1 pm on Friday, installed, verified pinion angle and headed to the racetrack, getting the pinion nut off was the biggest challenge.

So far so good, the amount of forward/backward slip the CV shaft has is far superior to that of a slip yoke chopped down to only engage on the shorty output shaft. The assembly guarantees 100% utilization of the available output shaft splines. Its an awesome design. Installation of the shaft once the tail housing and yoke are installed is a breeze. I'm not sure why anyone would ever build a 4 link dragster without one of these CV shafts.

Excellent service from Mark Williams for a so far very impressive product.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Triple Nickel,

Posts: 376 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The CV shaft is no doubt a good design. It also helps the trans too when the DS length changes as the rear end moves up or down. With a normal DS the yoke has to move in or out on the rear output shaft under a high load so it pulls of push on the trans output shaft.

However, when you setup a regular driveshaft correctly, there are also no issues. With the short dragster DS's, small rear movements are magnified. Also there are too many DS that are to short and therefore aren't supported enough at the trans end. Dan Page makes a dual roller bearing shorty trans DS support housing. It does a much better job supporting the DS yoke!

MW has stopped making dragster DS, both aluminum and steel, why? Too many failures that weren't the DS's fault.

With any high stress part, maintenance and replacement are required, including the CV shafts!

Posts: 2158 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post