DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Torque Wrench review
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Torque Wrench review
 Login/Join
 
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted
If you need a 1/2” drive torque wrench, this may help you choose.
https://youtu.be/HP4uECoH8cc
I own a digital snap-on and disliked the screw to adjust type that seem too common now.



2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
1.058
2.98
4.629@149
6.094
7.310@185

 
Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have two digital Snap on, a dial type snap on, three snap on and one matco click type, and a corn well high precision dial type....works for me....


Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
 
Posts: 1464 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have a 1/2 inch and 3/8 Snap on that I have had since the 90s, really should get them checked.

I also have a 1/2 inch CDI who actually makes the Snap on torque wrenches. This is my work torque wrench and gets sent in for calibration once a year since we are a ISO certified medical device company. Since starting with this company over 5 years ago I have been using that wrench for all my engine assembly since it is calibrated every year, so far no torque related failures
 
Posts: 2387 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I was wondering how accurate these torque adapters are.
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco...a-571314887956&psc=1


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
 
Posts: 3945 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Stretch is best. Do the math and lay the bolts out in flats or in arc lengths of movement. For blind holes
 
Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fasterat:
Stretch is best. Do the math and lay the bolts out in flats or in arc lengths of movement. For blind holes


Not always able to measure stretch, and arc of movement is not always accurate due to friction of the threads vs. friction of the head of the fastener, although it does tend to be more accurate than torque....however, in many cases, these specs are not provided or available for many fasteners, and simply going off thread pitch and size/grade of fastener isn't the best choice...torque is generally the accepted method for most and is usually the spec provided by most manufacturers


Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
 
Posts: 1464 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I need to send off all of my torque wrenches.....but isn't a priority at the moment...


Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
 
Posts: 1464 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My former employer had a Snap on torque wrench tester they shipped to all branches. We checked calibration on all torque wrench's every year. I checked over 100 myself most years. The one that stood out on paper being the most consistent/accurate/repeatable was the Gearwrench. They are China made junk but they would beat all my Snap-On branded stuff. Digital were the worst.
 
Posts: 101 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I need to send off all of my torque wrenches.....but isn't a priority at the moment...


I have said that for over a decade. LOL.
Meanwhile, all of my department's torque wrenches go out for calibrate annually.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6337 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I was wondering how accurate these torque adapters are.
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco...a-571314887956&psc=1


I don't know enough about the technology to comment on that. I imagine they need checking/calibration as well? Interesting though


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6337 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPosey:
My former employer had a Snap on torque wrench tester they shipped to all branches. We checked calibration on all torque wrench's every year. I checked over 100 myself most years. The one that stood out on paper being the most consistent/accurate/repeatable was the Gearwrench. They are China made junk but they would beat all my Snap-On branded stuff. Digital were the worst.


My Snap-on dealer has a Snap-on tester on his truck, but it is also digital, so who knows what is right?

That being said my clicker type wrenches and my Snap-on digitals all check very close to each other and the tester........


272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.
 
Posts: 3092 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 7110
posted Hide Post
My 3 Home Depot Husky wrenches served me well for the last 15-20 years and for the cost, were a very good value, but I have been wanting new Snap-Ons for some time, and this Christmas, I decided to treat/spoil myself a little while I am still on the right side of the dirt.......2 new Snap-On TechAngle, and a third coming in a few months. Well, I can't describe the pleasure of holding such a quality tool in my hands. I think I re-torqued the lugs on my cars 2 or 3 times the day they came just to keep the high going. Big Grin No comparison to any other wrench I have ever used.
 
Posts: 1597 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:
Originally posted by JPosey:
My former employer had a Snap on torque wrench tester they shipped to all branches. We checked calibration on all torque wrench's every year. I checked over 100 myself most years. The one that stood out on paper being the most consistent/accurate/repeatable was the Gearwrench. They are China made junk but they would beat all my Snap-On branded stuff. Digital were the worst.


My Snap-on dealer has a Snap-on tester on his truck, but it is also digital, so who knows what is right?

That being said my clicker type wrenches and my Snap-on digitals all check very close to each other and the tester........


15 yrs ago I purchase 3 different sized used Snap-On torque wrenches that looked almost new. The company I was working for had a quality lab that did instrument calibration. I had them calibrate these wrenches after purchasing. Although I don’t use these very often, it’s good to know how well yours have held calibration Bender.
 
Posts: 2411 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
For all you DIY'er that like a challenge.


https://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-a-Torque-Wrench


Illegitimi non carborundum
 
Posts: 2320 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
We calibrate Torque Tools daily, all brands, all sizes. Hand tools are the least accurate of Torque Tools in comparison to hydraulic, battery pistol grip, air pistol grip, and electric style Torque Tools. With that said, the hand tools are not considered inaccurate and typically don't lose their accuracy over time when taken care of properly.

We have a customer that has a 2500 ft lb hand clicker. Our AKO calibration system has a mechanical loader as most of us will never physically pull 2500 ft lbs. The mechanical loader takes away the physical characteristics of someone attempting to pull the wrench in different directions with their hands which can cause inaccuracies.

Unless a requirement or a repair to the tool requires the calibration, most of the time the tools require little adjustments to bring into specific percentage of calibration ranges.

If your unsure of accuracy, its an inexpensive procedure to check a tool.

All tools are cool...especially when you start calibration of tools above 25,000 ft lbs of Torque.

Shameless plug of my company:

Torquetoolsinc.com
 
Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7110:
My 3 Home Depot Husky wrenches served me well for the last 15-20 years and for the cost, were a very good value, but I have been wanting new Snap-Ons for some time, and this Christmas, I decided to treat/spoil myself a little while I am still on the right side of the dirt.......2 new Snap-On TechAngle, and a third coming in a few months. Well, I can't describe the pleasure of holding such a quality tool in my hands. I think I re-torqued the lugs on my cars 2 or 3 times the day they came just to keep the high going. Big Grin No comparison to any other wrench I have ever used.

Chuckle. Pretty much felt the same way after I finally justified a tech angle. Sweet T wrench.
Should have made the jump earlier of course.

Worse comes to worst I still have a beam wrench that can't be fooled.


Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.
 
Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
Everyone should have a Precision Instruments (PRETC3F175F)"TC" Torque Comparator

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It is the same as a Snap-On TCR175 that sells at $570.

By the way, Precision Instruments makes all the Snap-On dial, split beam, and micrometer torque wrenches. They are just re-branded as Snap-On.
Same parts, same specs.

Snap-On digital torque wrenches are re-branded CDI brand.

Save big money and shop accordingly.


Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

 
Posts: 1216 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Torque Wrench review

© DragRaceResults.com 2024