DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    For those with a garage they work in daylie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those with a garage they work in daylie
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted
Built a new 24 X 32 garage to work in everyday, how many turn the heat way down when they go in for the night?
Thanks in advance

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
From 60deg to 55. It takes way more energy to re-heat soak the entire garage. Unless you have a long break from the shop of course.....like that happens

Posts: 11 | Location: Here | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a gas station and it’s cheaper to keep it warm then to drop heat way down at night when you consider everything is metal and cement takes along time to get all that warm again

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for the shop, but residential HVAC guys used to recommend not changing temp more than 7 - 8 degrees on auto timer thermostats because it took longer and more heat to bring it up than it would have taken to leave it warmer.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I turn mine off

It's well insulated and never gets much colder than 40d degrees inside if used daily

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I turn mine completely off. I have my furnace wired to a hot water heater timer and it comes on an hour before I get in there. I then click it off before I leave. Nothing freezes unless the heats off for more than 3 days. Concrete stays warn until about the second day with no heat.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I heat with blow heater that has a stat on it. Not cheapest, but then again I run diesel in it and leave on 55 at night and maybe 65 in morning . If have a wood project thats been glued up I leave on 60 since glue will not set proper under 55 or so. Recovery time with heater is about 5 minutes and then it comes on cpl times for first hour and settles out.

If not doing anything for cpl days I drop temps and that lets freezer work less or so I think anyway.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Not exactly a huge shop, just an oversized 2.5 car garage but it's insulated & I have a hanging shop heater in there. If I'm going to be in there a few days in a row, I turn it to 55 at night and 65 when I'm in there. The heater gets it warm pretty quickly, but it takes a bit for the cars & tools to catch up to the room temp. I shut it off if I'm not going to be in there working for a few days.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a 40 x 56 with 11 foot ceiling that's probably over insulated to some standards with blown in insulation with a overhead propane shop heater. I keep it @ 51 at night and 62 when Im working only takes about 20 - 30 minutes to reach working temps.

Posts: 65 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a 30 x 30 insulated garage that I have my shop and gym in and keep it at 57 all the time. If I get chilled I turn it up and in no time its comfortable. I just hung a new King ceiling/wall mount electric heater that is designed for continual use as the main heat source.

Posts: 27 | Location: Pen Argyl, PA | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
30x40 insulated shop with a hanging gas furnace. I turned the heat down to about 40 every night at closing and turned it up when I opened in the morning. The shop held heat pretty good and as long as it stayed above freezing in the shop overnight it heated up pretty quick. Those big garage doors let the heat out pretty quick when you open them though.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I remember those cold winter nights in central Jersey (Mount Holly) when all I had was a small Coleman kerosine heater about the size of a toaster. Make that a small toaster. I finally moved to within one mile of the Pacific Ocean in San Diego California. I kept the heater to remind me how cold, cold can get, 50 years later and I still have that friggin' Coleman heater. If you piled snow on top of it at full blast the snow would never melt. I hate Coleman heaters.

Bob

Posts: 3084 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike Nitzsche, It gets cold where your at also. You make a very good point about the concrete.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I used to maintain 40*. my unit heater made condensate (wasn't designed to) and it ate up the flue first then the heat exchanger.
I don't go below 55 or so now.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post