DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How much wheel weight is too much?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
How much wheel weight is too much?
 Login/Join
 
DRR Elite
posted
Balancing new slicks. One is fine. Other takes 24 oz. if we get the wheel to the light side we can get about 20. Guy mounting said this is too much in his experience. Mickey’s website says 1% of the 34 lb tire weight. Summit is being funny about taking them back. Experience?


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6341 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
typical emp-tees
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that much on any brand tire. I bubble balance my stuff.

Recently I had a moroso ds2 front take a bunch of weight and Summit exchanged it.


Denis LeBlanc

 
Posts: 459 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Called Summit back and the fella was nice as could be. Sending another and a call ticket.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6341 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Bucky, check the mold number and date code on the set you got and the new tire they send you. Too me thats more important than the roll out. I have a Summit warehouse 30 minutes from my house. A couple years ago I needed tires in a hurry so I bought a set from Summit, when they brought them out the mold number was different and date was different. I refused the tires, told them I wanted those numbers to match or I want my money back. They said they would try and about 45 minutes later they brought out a matched set. No way you can get that mail order from Summit or Jegs.
The last set I bought I got right off the MT trailer at the track, paid a few bucks more but they were fresh and everything matched perfectly.
 
Posts: 2388 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Did you spin or bubble balance? Either way did you try the wheel with no tire to see if the wheel is out?
 
Posts: 1447 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What type of wheels my pro stars used to be a pain because if you didn’t tighten enough spacer inside would move around and change it I ended up center spacer and drill three small holes and put roll pins in from backside
 
Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the wheel is by itself.


Joe


Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.
 
Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
I wonder what the wheel is by itself.


Joe


3


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6341 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Did you spin or bubble balance? Either way did you try the wheel with no tire to see if the wheel is out?


Spin. 3 on the rim. Add the tire and it immediately drops one side to the bottom on the balancer.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6341 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
What type of wheels my pro stars used to be a pain because if you didn’t tighten enough spacer inside would move around and change it I ended up center spacer and drill three small holes and put roll pins in from backside


Weld. Older and I forget the model. Seemed like everyone had them.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6341 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Bucky, check the mold number and date code on the set you got and the new tire they send you. Too me thats more important than the roll out. I have a Summit warehouse 30 minutes from my house. A couple years ago I needed tires in a hurry so I bought a set from Summit, when they brought them out the mold number was different and date was different. I refused the tires, told them I wanted those numbers to match or I want my money back. They said they would try and about 45 minutes later they brought out a matched set. No way you can get that mail order from Summit or Jegs.
The last set I bought I got right off the MT trailer at the track, paid a few bucks more but they were fresh and everything matched perfectly.


Will look at codes


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6341 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bucky, in choosing to run this tire, you accept the QA/QC issues that come with this tire/this decision, issues that are well known and very old.
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
No way I would run that tire!


Matt Ward



 
Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
No way I would run that tire!


We aren’t


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6341 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Bucky, in choosing to run this tire, you accept the QA/QC issues that come with this tire/this decision, issues that are well known and very old.


Come on Ed, are you saying that Hoosier never had a balance issues? How about this, brand new set of tires, rollout well with in acceptable limits, car would not go straight! Played with everything possible, no help, finally the racer noticed that after a run, one tire had your typical rocks and stuff stuck to the tire as usual and one tire had nothing! Got a new set from Hoosier, problem gone! Wasted a good amount of time figuring this one out and it was a new car which did not help either.

Every manufacturer of every part has problems. And no matter who's tires you buy, buying them from Summit and Jegs is risky!
 
Posts: 2138 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have never had an issue buying tires from Summit. I only ever had a problem with a set of tires and they were Goodyears,Not bought from Summit, if tires were on certain side the car wouldn’t go straight, flip them and right down Broadway.
 
Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Really I can't say if M/T has some sort of problem. I have heard Ed and another say they have seen more than what you would expect. I have a total sample size of two tires. And I have no other data. I wanted to try a 15" that was not terribly prone to shake. So I had only once choice.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6341 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Really I can't say if M/T has some sort of problem. I have heard Ed and another say they have seen more than what you would expect. I have a total sample size of two tires. And I have no other data. I wanted to try a 15" that was not terribly prone to shake. So I had only once choice.


What tire did you end up going with?


Denis LeBlanc

 
Posts: 459 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Remember Ed never ran them so you can toss out that data.
I got a free set of Hoosiers laying in my garage that wouldn’t balance. I got them to put on wheels of my old car for rolling around, only need to hold air not be balanced.
 
Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How much wheel weight is too much?

© DragRaceResults.com 2024