Bracket Talk
"Family Tradition" a build for Daughter & Grandchildren

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/7807084696

June 29, 2021, 09:07 AM
Larry Woodfin
"Family Tradition" a build for Daughter & Grandchildren
This will be the mildest, least expensive build I have done in many years. The core is a 2010 Chevy Colorado "donated" to the cause Smile

Please check back often as the project develops. Photos and details beginning soon.

Larry Woodfin

June 29, 2021, 09:22 AM
FootbrakeJim
Looking forward to seeing the build as it progresses, Larry. Saw you and the Lamplighter Camaro team at XRP a week or so ago, meant to stop by and introduce myself, but was rather busy.
I think it is great that you share your builds, and help keep the sport alive by introducing kids & grandkids to drag racing.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!
June 29, 2021, 02:06 PM
Larry Woodfin
Foot, we will be at XRP from time to time, so please look us up. We were busy also working on a driving left situation and too much wheelie. We have both corrected now.

Larry Woodfin

June 29, 2021, 02:07 PM
Larry Woodfin
The plan is to use as many bolt-on parts as possible without cutting or modification. CalTracs, 29.5 x 10.5 radial, steel wheels, all OE sheet metal, bench seat. Conventional first-gen SBC, powerglide, 12 bolt rear narrowed as needed.

Larry Woodfin

July 10, 2021, 09:34 PM
Larry Woodfin
Working on a truck is a beautiful thing! Remove the bed, complete access to modifying the rear suspension. After a time of thought, I plan to install a set of ladder bars. They will do everything I want in this situation. I will also install them about 4" inboard of the factory frame so that if in the future I want a larger tire it will be an easy upgrade. Installing a Chevy 12 bolt will also be part of this exercise.

Here she is on my trusty, home-built tables that allow placing components at ride height and allowing a good view of the fitment.

Larry Woodfin

July 10, 2021, 09:37 PM
Larry Woodfin
By tha way, hardcore builders[especially those who are old and fat,] require a lift for convenient working height.

Larry Woodfin

July 10, 2021, 09:46 PM
Larry Woodfin
Some notes, as I begin this project, I recognize the Colorado/Canyon as a good package. It has a full-frame, rack and pinion steering, coil-over front spring with a-arms, it is overall about 3" wider and 3" longer than the S-10. I expect it to be a very nice footbraker.

Larry Woodfin

July 11, 2021, 11:55 AM
Larry Woodfin
This shows the front springs removed so the suspension can be positioned at ride height.

Larry Woodfin

July 11, 2021, 11:56 AM
Larry Woodfin
The chassis is blocked at one degree forward rake.

Larry Woodfin

July 11, 2021, 11:56 AM
Larry Woodfin
The chassis is blocked level.

Larry Woodfin

July 11, 2021, 12:14 PM
1320racer
nice work as always Larry
July 11, 2021, 12:20 PM
Larry Woodfin
Thanks, Ed. Please stay tuned. I look forward to seeing which family members take to it.

Larry Woodfin

July 11, 2021, 03:41 PM
1320racer
I will and we will.
July 13, 2021, 04:45 PM
Larry Woodfin
When converting a factory stock truck to a drag race truck, it is necessary to turn all bolts anti-clockwise. Later, after modifying each piece, bolts can be turned clockwise.

Larry Woodfin

July 13, 2021, 04:46 PM
Larry Woodfin
anti-clockwise

Larry Woodfin

July 13, 2021, 04:47 PM
Larry Woodfin
turning bolts

Larry Woodfin

July 15, 2021, 08:54 PM
Larry Woodfin
Some hot rod prep work is not fun. This shows an old Chevelle 12 bolt going under the blade with removing brackets and a rough cut to length.

Larry Woodfin

July 15, 2021, 08:55 PM
Larry Woodfin
12 bolt cuts

Larry Woodfin

July 22, 2021, 09:35 PM
Larry Woodfin
We are beginning the frame modification. The new section will be 5 1/2" inboard of the original frame. Once both new sections are properly installed and aligned, the original frame will be cut away. Having the OE frame remaining in place gives a good fixture for accurate alignment.

Larry Woodfin

July 22, 2021, 09:47 PM
FastLane
Where’s the like button! Can’t wait to see it finished. Always good work, Larry!