New
Find
Notify
Tools

flex plate
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
632 BBC need to get a flex plate been out of the loop for a few yrs what flex plate does everyone like.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Like is one thing. Afford is another. I had 2 of the J... Crack. On a side note: What ever plate and or bolts you decide to use. Pay close attention to the under shroud area of the bolt. Minuscule taper,
The bolt may not sit flush on the plate. Put a slight taper in the plate and use the RED. You also might want to stay away from a solid plate.
Hello harmonics. Crack city.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
More important than Brand or price is getting the 139 tooth flex plate. They will not break off teeth like the others. You have to change the nose gear and the mounting block on the starter but that is not a big deal and it is not too expensive.
After getting some teeth knocked off a brand new 168 tooth SFI flexplate I went to 139 and have never had another problem.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
More important than Brand or price is getting the 139 tooth flex plate. They will not break off teeth like the others. You have to change the nose gear and the mounting block on the starter but that is not a big deal and it is not too expensive.
After getting some teeth knocked off a brand new 168 tooth SFI flexplate I went to 139 and have never had another problem.

139 tooth turns faster, so that must mean the starter is working less, to spin the engine over? Confused

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
139 Tooth Meziere. Do it right the first time and move on.

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
139 Tooth Meziere. Do it right the first time and move on.

Bob

I bet a 139 does do well with a Meziere starter, bigger teeth.

I can report first hand, a 168 Meziere works excellent too, with a Powermaster 9540 starter BBC.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I also run a 632. I use a 168 tooth Meziere flex plate with their TS500 starter and 16 volt system. Spins the engine like it has no compression.

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The advantage of the 139 tooth flexplate is it about same diameter of the 168 but it has fewer teeth so they are LARGER and stronger.

The 16 volt system will spin faster but battery runs down faster so it may not be for everyone.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to Meziere products. and like everyone says the 139 tooth is the way to go on big-ci and high compression engines. But you must also run a starter designed for the 139 tooth flexplate. So unless your in the market for both the FP300 168 tooth flexplate would be the right choice.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 241 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I’m in the minority, but I always get the full 3 years out of the el-cheapo 168 tooth plates sold under several brand names. Same stuff on my 468 and 632.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3162 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Been running a JW The Wheel for years...only issue I ever had was forgetting to loctite the flywheel bolts....they came loose and beat the holes up a bit.....my fault not the flex plate....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1487 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I've been running Meziere 139 Billet for about 5 years now along with the TS 500 starter and 16v. I have the 4 year old flexplate I took out of my car last year in the basement storage of my MH as a spare. The teeth barely have a mark on them.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post