DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission fuild
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission fuild
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of eric doukas
posted
Was wondering about the Castrol TranSynnd 668 or Mobil Delvac 1 668 spec transmission fluid.
Can you run this type of fluid in daily drivers tow rigs .
I thinking of changing over my th400 race transmission to this fluid , Anything i should know before doing it.

Posts: 53 | Location: fallon nv | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I run it in everything.

Posts: 1629 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was wondering about the Castrol TranSynd 668 or Mobil Delvac 1 668 spec transmission fluid.

thinking of changing over my th400 race transmission to this fluid , Anything i should know before doing it.

Using low setting compressed air, blow out the trans cooler lines if possible.

Posts: 2645 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Hey Eric,
There is another extensive, recent thread on this. Im thinking about switching, but havent had a real issue.

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/for...0760912/m/2427095107

Clark Doukas

Posts: 148 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of eric doukas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T172JR:
I run it in everything.

Can I run the 668 fluid in any make of transmission? GM ,ford ,Dodge

Posts: 53 | Location: fallon nv | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eric doukas:
quote:
Originally posted by T172JR:
I run it in everything.

Can I run the 668 fluid in any make of transmission? GM ,ford ,Dodge

yes, i have been putting that fluid in the new 8 and 10 speed transmissions at my transmission shop. MOst manufacturers are suggesting using a a ultra low viscosity fluid in those transmissions, but in turn, they run hotter and the converter shudders worse with the light weight fluid. The transynd has been taking care of alot of shudder issues. I also highly recommend this fluid in all powerglides and 400s with any power level from 500 to 2500.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 740 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
MOst manufacturers are suggesting using a a ultra low viscosity fluid in those transmissions...

I don't know but suspect it's the same reason they are running such low viscosity engine oil, government mileage mandates. My 6sp manual w/436hp uses automatic trans fluid!! I was too chicken to put in gear oil.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2365 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L: i have been putting that fluid in the new 8 and 10 speed transmissions at my transmission shop. MOst manufacturers are suggesting using a a ultra low viscosity fluid in those transmissions, but in turn, they run hotter and the converter shudders worse with the light weight fluid. The transynd has been taking care of alot of shudder issues.

Have you use TES-295/ 668 in the ZF 8 speed transmissions used in BMW and Mopar? ZF sells their Lifeguard recommended fluid and Mopar offers their replacement specific fluid as well.

Posts: 2645 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by 329L: i have been putting that fluid in the new 8 and 10 speed transmissions at my transmission shop. MOst manufacturers are suggesting using a a ultra low viscosity fluid in those transmissions, but in turn, they run hotter and the converter shudders worse with the light weight fluid. The transynd has been taking care of alot of shudder issues.

Have you use TES-295/ 668 in the ZF 8 speed transmissions used in BMW and Mopar? ZF sells their Lifeguard recommended fluid and Mopar offers their replacement specific fluid as well.

That is one transmission fluid you do not change to a normal "red" fluid. We have had several come through that a customer had a quick change oil place service the transmission, and they put a generic bulk fluid back in it, and it ALWAYS leads to failures within 6 months. I know that clear trans fluids are 30+ a quart, but that is a fk around and find out deal, and i personally wouldnt fk around with that trans.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 740 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a question about TES 668. The transmission temperature in my motorhome (4L-80E) while towing runs much hotter than I am comfortable with, often reaching 250+ degrees. I installed two B&M stack plate coolers in addition to the original stock cooler located in the radiator, it changed nothing. Now I'm wondering if TES 668 fluid would reduce the temperature or at least allow it to cool off quicker.

If you have any experience using TES 668 I would like to hear what it did for your tow vehicle.

Bob

Posts: 3179 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I have a question about TES 668. The transmission temperature in my motorhome (4L-80E) while towing runs much hotter than I am comfortable with, often reaching 250+ degrees. I installed two B&M stack plate coolers in addition to the original stock cooler located in the radiator, it changed nothing. Now I'm wondering if TES 668 fluid would reduce the temperature or at least allow it to cool off quicker.

If you have any experience using TES 668 I would like to hear what it did for your tow vehicle.

Bob

That is definitely too hot, id be interested to see if its legit that hot. BUT, the TES 668 WILL help cool it down. Typcially the fluid runs 20 degrees cooler than most other fluids.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Also, i would quit using the radiator trans cooler, and only use your 2 stack plate coolers. The engine might be warming the transmission up too much.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, especially bi-passing the radiator cooling lines. I'm considering buying a Hughes RV converter, that would also solve the problem of draining the converter.

Bob

Posts: 3179 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Thanks for the suggestions, especially bi-passing the radiator cooling lines. I'm considering buying a Hughes RV converter, that would also solve the problem of draining the converter.

Bob

That is prolly a good idea. MOST of the time, the converter slipping in lock up is going to build the heat. Make sure to buy the nicest one Hughes has for that application.

Jeremiah Hall