DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alcohol to gas thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol to gas thoughts
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
Conventional head 15:1 BBC, 34* timing on alcohol.
-9 NGK plug gapped at .025
Switching to 112 race gas.
Should timing stay the same?
Should plug stay the same?

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I would use 116. You will most likely see less swings in DA. I'd stay the same on plug and timing.

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'd say 114 at a min, might call your favorite fuel company and ask them.

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Under 7500 RPM's and staging under 150 degrees I'd have no worries using 112 fuel.
Leave the timing until you read a plug and adjust from there.
I run -8 plugs at near 15:1 on 110 gas.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Why switch? Agree on the fuel, I'd go 116. Although my stuff was 12*, it wanted 4* more timing on alky than on gas...But for a conventional headed BBC, that seems like a reasonable number, but I'd start at about 30-32 and see what the plugs tell you...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would go down to Killeen, Texas at Cen-Tex Dyno and dyno the motor. Joe will get you dialed in quick and then you will have good tune up and know exactly torque and horsepower to get perfect converter. He can tell you if it needs more octane, get timing perfect and will save you a ton of money over weeks of testing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4015 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
not to argue. Why switch to gas?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Because I can

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Conventional head 15:1 BBC, 34* timing on alcohol.
-9 NGK plug gapped at .025
Switching to 112 race gas.
Should timing stay the same?
Should plug stay the same?

What CID? VP C14 fuel or X16 or C15, do not run C16! Alky timing sounds close. Depending on the piston dome, it may like 36 to 38.
Same plug for sure! I'd open the gap to .035

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

Quicker warmups, cleaner oil, near zero maintenance required, and don't have to carry 55 gallons for a race weekend.

I've had some guy tell me he couldn't afford to race if he had to pay $8.00 a gallon for race gas......same guy who has used up 3 fire extinguishers last season trying to get his P.O.S. alky carb engine started cold. Laughing Hard

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had some guy tell me he couldn't afford to race if he had to pay $8.00 a gallon for race gas

What race gas can be had for that $8 price? Have to believe race gas is more than that.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

Quicker warmups, cleaner oil, near zero maintenance required, and don't have to carry 55 gallons for a race weekend.

I've had some guy tell me he couldn't afford to race if he had to pay $8.00 a gallon for race gas......same guy who has used up 3 fire extinguishers last season trying to get his P.O.S. alky carb engine started cold. Laughing Hard

Goob

I have run both gas and alky (carb and injection). Properly setup alky will not milk the oil, if fact is stays cleaner longer. From a cost factor, it's a bit cheaper or was when I ran it but as you stated you will use twice as much. Over time alky will rot out AL fittings, even with top end lube added. They both have their place in bracket racing.

These days, I don't see any consistency advantages with alky over gas. In fact there are times where I know gas is more predictable than alky. Same with Q16 vs race gas!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
After doing some research and comparing specs on VP, Sunoco and the new Fuel factory race gases and on a very good recommendation I ordered a 55 gal drum of Sunoco Maximal from my local distributor. $780 for drum delivered to the house. Should last me all season.
Just for a little comparison, I would bring 70 gallons of alcohol with me when I ran a NHRA event with the Blown TD
https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuels/fuel/maximal

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
I've had some guy tell me he couldn't afford to race if he had to pay $8.00 a gallon for race gas

What race gas can be had for that $8 price? Have to believe race gas is more than that.

I'm running Finish Line 110, direct from a bulk distributor, picked up local in the drum for $400. ($7.27 per gallon)
Don't know if there will be a bump this year yet, I still have 50 gallons left over from last season.
I usually buy 2 drums in the spring. We run it in various mix ratios in the grandkids motorcycles and go carts too.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
After doing some research and comparing specs on VP, Sunoco and the new Fuel factory race gases and on a very good recommendation I ordered a 55 gal drum of Sunoco Maximal from my local distributor. $780 for drum delivered to the house. Should last me all season.
Just for a little comparison, I would bring 70 gallons of alcohol with me when I ran a NHRA event with the Blown TD

Big

I have run Supreme at 16 to 1 with no issues. Max is a good fuel too. I friend has a 9 degree motor with 17 to 1 and sprays a 150 shot with Max.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Steve, Top38 is correct. 38* on Sonoco blue 112. Depending on the conditions, don"t be surprised if it likes 40*. JMO

Posts: 39 | Location: so. ca. | Registered: June 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
P.S. Yes open the gap to .035.

Posts: 39 | Location: so. ca. | Registered: June 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thoughts about methanol Vs gasoline.
The original question from Steve is related specifically to his engine. The intake port and combustion chamber of Steve's engine present certain air and mixture patterns. Another engine will have different results. Example, the SBC 23* intake and chamber present different mixture patterns and because of that, in almost all cases the SBC is faster and more consistent on methanol. Thus, when talking about pros and cons of fuel, the specific engine must be a part of the discussion.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

70? wow

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
agree on 70 gal. thing / Never used more than 40 with the funny car or TA/d. Plus price difference at time just made buying at the track easier and hauling leftover home for later.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post