DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    10.5 x 28 M/T Slick Tire Pressure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10.5 x 28 M/T Slick Tire Pressure
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hello Fellow Racers!

I have recently switched to some M/T 10.5 x 28 slicks (without a tube). I was wanting to get an idea as to what pressures people are running these tires. My vehicle’s specs:

-2900lb car
-runs 5.70s to the 1/8th
-4 Link Suspension w Ford 9” (4.11 Gear)
-powerglide w 1.80 1st gear

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: September 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We run our 2500 lb car with the same tires at 9 1/2 lbs

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I run 29 x 10.5 with 13PSI

Posts: 1465 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
What size wheel? Regular or stiff? Between 9.75-11 is where we run them. Been mid 4.80s at 145

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
I was running 10 x 28 Hoosiers in my 3100-lb. S-10 truck this summer with about 13 PSI, which I'd run for years.

Upon suggestion from a few racers on this forum, I increased the pressure to 17 PSI one day (and added some ballast). Suddenly the truck is 'almost' deadly consistent and I went deep into the rounds in both classes (as I double-entered).

However, when I called Hoosier they said that 13 PSI should have been about right......

Posts: 345 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run 17lbs in my 3600lb Cutlass, runs 6.80s. My car is alot slower and heavier than you are

Posts: 33 | Location: Xenia | Registered: June 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I’m currently running them at 10.5 pounds but the car has a tendency to spin at the hit every once in a while. I will be doing some testing to see where the car likes the pressure to be.

My tires have a stiff sidewall and I run a 10x15 wheel with double bead locks

Posts: 2 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: September 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. And welcome to the forums, BTW.

I've been told too that running too low of air pressure can be hard on your sidewalls and can cause the tire to effectively wear out prematurely. With your stiff sidewalls maybe it's not such an issue.

Below is a link to one of my favorite YouTube videos. Though this racer may have smaller slicks, it shows how he found a 'sweet spot' at 14.5 PSI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZDXBXRC9Q

Posts: 345 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I run the same exact tire as you, M/T 28x10.5 "S" (stiff wall). No tubes.
But my ride is a lot like Racer442Olds
3600#, low 6.80's.

I run them at 11.5 - 12.25, depending on temp and track conditions. Never blows the tires off at the hit.

You should be able to look at the contact surface of the slicks right after a run, and tell if they look "happy" or not. You should not see much of any feathering , and things should look pretty even across the surface. Also check the depth of your wear indicator holes. If you are wearing more at the center, you probably need to drop your pressure a bit, or raise it is your slicks wear more at the edges.

Keep in mind the wider a wheel you use, it takes more pressure to keep an even footprint for a given tire size & vehicle. (Example: Your tire at 13 PSI with a 10" wide wheel may have same contact patch as it would at 11 PSI with an 8.5 inch wide wheel).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1041 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post