Find
Notify
Tools

Shorty Dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted
What’s the infatuation with the shorty dragsters lately? How much lighter than a normal 235” to 245” car? Any real world benefits to it?

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
A couple of benefits that I have heard is easier to drive the stripe and they have have their own spot on the starting line. Also take up less space in the trailer and garage

Posts: 127 | Location: Oxford,MI | Registered: July 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcMOD3X3X:
A couple of benefits that I have heard is easier to drive the stripe and they have have their own spot on the starting line. Also take up less space in the trailer and garage

That pretty much covers it. One other added benefit is that the chassis does not flex as much making the chassis less susceptible to damage in towing. I would still use a chassis support if possible in my opinion.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Rigid and the wheels don't hang out the back of the trailer.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Ran a 200 dragster from 1988 to 1995, it was fine, it did crack during towing so maybe not that much of a benefit. Fit nice in our 20 foot trailer and in one side of our two car garage so that was nice. Funny how cyclic everything is, I was running that, then everybody was going to 225 inch cars, picked up a nice used 225 when everybody was going to 4-link cars, now everybody wants a short dragster again. Same with wings, everybody had one, then nobody had them, now they are back again (as a mono strut wing). Maybe next will be a return to the little airplane looking front wheels.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
want to get jump on small wheels? Just so happens I know where a set is.LOL

I can see the shorty dragster deal working great and gaining in popularity. Its like the Harley deal. It was long raked out,big tire huge motor and tricked everything. Then it went so more piratical,but still customized street hot rods and now its tricked out baggers that are getting to point of not being that great for cross country rides. Everything changes and most comes back around.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4186 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had a 215" 4 link built by a friend and local chassis builder.

It was a very fast reacting car which can be an issue for Pro Tree racing and it never hurt a thing chassis wise.

I went 7.70's with it at over 170 and it was fine...sold the car and I believe its still being raced sometimes. The Chassis is 20+ years old....

My present car is a Racetech at 235" and I've run 7.40's at just under 180..

The Racetech feels more comfortable at any speed...No wing...Its like a Cadillac....LOL

It is slower reacting but not enough to be a problem....again Pro Tree racing....for full tree its not an issue...

It has cracked some chassis tubes more than once....I just fix it as needed...

I use an air bladder under it and always have.

If I had a choice I'm sticking with the longer wheelbase going by the 2 cars I've had and how they felt at 170 or better....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
In tubing and aluminum they are approx 30 lbs lighter.

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Like Keith mentioned, about 30 lbs lighter. As far as driving the stripe, that's preference. One thing I can see is that fitting one (or two) in the trailer is a heck of a lot easier. Driving around the pits would be easier. I'm interested to see when some builders start to make dual suspended shorties and how they perform.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post