DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Engine run stand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engine run stand
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
My next project is an Engine Run Stand.
Have any of you done this? Looking for ideas.
Might use a rear motor plate with multiple vehicle mounts. ?
Also thought radiator below oil pan?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4494 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have one I bought. Made by Latin I think. It was cheaper than sourcing materials and my time to build it. A few things I changed slightly to fit my liking. It came with some adapters to hook a water hose to the water pump on engine. Another adapter to hook a water hose to the thermostat outlet for flow out. Just turn on the faucet and adjust flow with the water knob to control temperature. Kind of like running an outboard boat motor with the adapter in your driveway. It’s nice not having to worry about a radiator or water pump drive or fans.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Most have a plate welded to back with holes for block to bolt to. Mine has a regular adjustable back like a portable engine stand and it is mounted on a trailer jack. The front stands are also adjustable height and width so you can easily mount any motor brand. Mine came with radiator and very small gas tank.
Did not come wired up, no battery, no water pump or ignition box. Plus I decided to use much larger fuel tank and will use small original one with gas as a primer unit. The original gas tank is maybe half gallon and has small fuel pump some use for primers.
As you can see it is not finished it I have too many other projects going. Going to take my time and make it as easy as possible to hook up and test any motor.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I built one with 1/2 inch angle iron 4'x2'x1.5' for the gauges and switch panel. I use a standard 3 gauge panel and a 4 switch panel, ign,st,fp,wp. I then bolted that assy to a 4 caster dolly I made out of 2" angle with a 3/4 inch wood base. I used a old radiator I had and mounted it to the 4' control frame in front with ubrackets. I have the electric fuel pump mounted to that control station as well, which is fed by a small mooneyes gas tank I had laying around. I have a box fan sitting in front of the radiator which I plug in to an outlet. I have two 12 volt batteries mounted on the dolly. I use a trickle charger to keep them charged. Where do the engines go you ask, well thats the neat part. After I finish assy I put the engine on a wheeled engine cart, mount the carb, electric water pump, headers and mufflers, starter, distributor, etc. I then put the 'portable' control station in front of the engine, hook up the radiator hoses and electrical which I made out of 7 conductor trailer harness, fuel hose, fill the radiator, turn on water pump and check for leaks, also turn on fuel pump to prime carb. Plug in the box fan, hit the starter and away we go. Itll run all day that way to break in cams etc, till it runs out of gas. The only thing I had to buy was the engine carts, which I bought two from summit so I didnt have to swap engines around, and move them easily. I could leave them on the stands when Im done running them, unhook the control stand, put everything in the corner. I didnt put a throttle cable on it as I just use the carb idle screw to adjust rpm. I did put a tach on it.

Posts: 296 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Great input guys thank you!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4494 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post