New
Find
Notify
Tools

zoomie build
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
After catching my breath from zoomie sticker shock...I decidied i can build a set of stainless for less than uncoated mild steel. So the adventure of building my own is beginning.

Can anyone give me an idea on tube length and lay back angle? Is a minimum tube length i should shoot for?

Posts: 560 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
No nsuch thing as minimum really. Its open to what you like. I normally buy either 120* bends if building a set of loner from head to turn or mini training wheels as they are called. If short with immediate turns I get 4 180* cut in middle and trim tubes to liking.

As for layback. Again just matter of choice, NHRA has a minimum on Funny cars I think that's only reg.s.

Shop around yyou can save a bunch on parts. Speedway performance is good one to check.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4443 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Speedway had a kit for awhile, but it looks like they killed it off. Not sure who made the kit for them but it might be worth a phone call.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
what about tube diameter? Have a little blower right now but i'm sure i'll get bored with that eventually.

Buddy of mine said he had a big difference from 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 on his big blower stuff

Posts: 560 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
2 1/4 is normal bbc.Hemi guys run 2.5. Hemi ports will not fit into 2.25. BBC can run 2.5 but cpl bolt holes are real tight and will need socket or specialty bolts. Think about it 2.25 is plenty with a tube that maybe 12 to 16 inch total with zero restriction. Heck both look and sound cool and that is always a bonus.

Posts: 4443 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
looks like pretty common centerline bend radius on 2.25 is 3.50. I see many offer a 6" radius.

Probably over thinking this as i'm running a set of 2-3/8 to 2-1/2 headers now.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I have a set of mild steel from Teds Fabrication
that i used for about a year.He does nice work.
BBC...2.25 i think.. light weights. 10 Lbs each.

Is this for the hated dragster lol???

Posts: 1414 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
haha it is for the hated dragster. I really need to get with someone to get some stickers made saying 'i hate dragsters' lol

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1546 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Seabass Knows..

Posts: 235 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Bought a set of coated 2.5 inch Dan Olson zoomies with covers, found them online for $500 shipped. Deals out there, just need to find them

Posts: 2523 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i enjoy fabricating and welding...very therapeutic

so i plan on building a set unless i come across something i absolute can't pass up on.

DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
I'm working on my second set. The first ones pointed up and the new ones are downswept. Both sets for my use are 2 1/8 tubes. I bought bends from ACP Stahl headers, the first ones were just 120 deg bends welded into the flanges. (shown in my picture) The new ones have 1 weld in the tubes, they come out (45 deg) and down with a 90 degree bend welded on. Cheap and easy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fatpack,

Walt

Posts: 56 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have new set about ready.I will post when done and mounted. Pretty sure I will be getting a bunch of pushback on these.Have been wanting to do this set for a while. R

Ran out of argon last week and have not had chance during week to pickup a bottle and lazy welding supply house is not open on weekends.LOL

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Alkydigger has a set of 2 1/4 zoomies $ 535 and if you want to build your own they have the measurements for them there.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
After catching my breath from zoomie sticker shock...I decidied i can build a set of stainless for less than uncoated mild steel. So the adventure of building my own is beginning.

Can anyone give me an idea on tube length and lay back angle? Is a minimum tube length i should shoot for?

You didn't ask about diameter....Im building a new set of bull horns today as a matter of fact....and will have some 5" straight and bend drop off material available if your interested, should be in the shop most of the day if you want to swing by and pick it up (lol)....

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Question; would a stepped zoomie work?

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4617 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i bought some 304 flanges and both 2-1/4 and 2-1/2 tubes. I'm right around 14-1/2 to 15-1/2 tube length depending which tube i go with.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I bought 5 2 1/4" ubends with 6 inch radius from Fab Shop for mine.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3338 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
You will need facebook to view but here is a set of coated 2.5 inch Stainless zoomies for $500 for anyone looking for a set

https://www.facebook.com/comme...ref=share_attachment

Posts: 2523 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post