Bracket Talk
comp cams break in- soft spring needed?

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/7457082386

August 16, 2019, 08:28 PM
fast frank
comp cams break in- soft spring needed?
525 lift solid lifter comp cams, would you remove inner spring for break-in, they are 125lb seat, 270lb open
August 16, 2019, 09:54 PM
Eman
That's a pretty mild spring, does it have an inner spring? Pulling the inner springs is a lot less work then changing cam and lifters and cleaning out the worn off lobe.
August 16, 2019, 10:25 PM
fast frank
Dual spring
August 17, 2019, 08:36 AM
THAT SEEMS OVERKILL TO ME BUT. PROPER BREAK IN LUBE AND GOOD FAST IDLE AT BREAK IN SHOULD DOIT
August 17, 2019, 10:16 AM
Wooley
Yes, remove the inner spring for break in. The little bit of extra work now is better than the alternative.
August 18, 2019, 09:43 AM
Alaskaracer
Not bashing, but just curious...why a flat tappet?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
August 23, 2019, 11:20 AM
FootbrakeJim
.525 lift is a very mild cam. I wouldn't bother. No issues with the .575 lift Comp F/T deal I put together for someone last year, car is street-driven and doing fine.
If your heads are already fully assembled on the engine, removing the inner springs, then putting them back in afterward is actually quite a bit of work to do.
Last time I did it was a couple years ago, on a .640" Solid F/T Comp stick, I used their higher-end spring recommendation, was super-meticulous with set-up, assembly, cleanliness, choice of lubricants, break-in procedure, and multiple oil/filter changes. And I still had a lifter fail after 4 races/21 passes. If you are gonna do all that work, you may as well get a cam worth the effort.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!
August 23, 2019, 06:57 PM
Ron Gusack
I'd pull the spring, run break in oil and make absolutely sure that the lifters are spinning. What does Comp say to do? I lost a few lobes on break in a couple years ago and it ruined the entire engine in a 20 minute break in.
August 29, 2019, 03:29 PM
fast frank
this is a mild street strip combo, I did what they said, heads were off so removing the inner springs easy , broke it in then put them back on, took it out this weekend, did the valves, cut the filter open, everything looks great, thanks for the advice