New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Question
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking to try a different tire on my 4-link duel shock dragster. About 875 HP 430ci SBC. Right now I run a Hoosier 18400 16X33 CO7 tire. Dead hooks at the launch then at about 1 tire revolution it rattles the tires bad. It was breaking things on my car. Other racers have told me to try a more narrow tire. Looking at the Hoosier 18500 (12X33) or the 18355 (13X33).Might even try the Hoosier or Goodyear 14.5X33 tire. I will be getting new rims to fit what ever tire I buy. Moving the 4-link bars and shocks Did not help very much. Bob J

Don't get behind me,I'm in the slow lane.

Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would use a mt 3074s or mt 3080

Posts: 25 | Location: Iowa | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Killer small block! What kind of times thus far?

I ran Hoosier 12.0" wides for many years and they worked well on my mono shock sbc about 750 or so hp. 7.90's car. Never a rattle in burnout or during a run. I am running a 14" hoosier right now with a different combination with more hp and it has been challenging. With a high hp small block, the Hoosier doesn't seem to have a very big tuning window. My guess in your case is that you are initially hitting the tire too hard. The tire gets murdered and then bounces back up and unhooks partially. On a lower hp car with more weight in the back, it would simply spin a little on the unhook and then rehook. But yours is twisting hard enough to shake them.

If you want to try to hit the tire less hard, more air pressure, (I always ran 6.5 or so in mine), more dampening on the shock extension, and less two step rpm. Much more effect can be had by putting more downward slope on the bottom bar (usually I start with 1 degree angled down forward, but you can go much more), and reducing the angle on the top bar. You can also try making that tire unhook by drastically reducing the tire pressure. I had success at about 4.0 psi. It was much less likely to rattle. But my 60's were a tad slower as well. (but faster than a tire rattle)

All that said, although I think there should be no way that you can't get that Hoosier to work for your combo, I would say:
1. The tire you are using is too large for that application IMO. Wide that is.
2. The M/t has a much wider window to work in. In fact, I borrowed a 10.5 wide on a 15" rim from a racer, and that tire was great on my car. Maybe just a tick sketchy on the top end at 185 and more mph for me. I intend on adding a wing. I also borrowed big bubba's and they worked flawlessly on my car was well. I could not make anything M/T shake ever on my car.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rradracer:

The 3074 only has 100" roll out. If not gear ratio limited it could be a good choice.
What gear ratio is in this car OP? And where does the converter fall back or stall?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rradracer:

x2 I've used both. On my second set of 3080

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 482 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a 4.57 gear in it now. 7200 at the hit then fall back to 7500 at the shift. The best I did was a 4.81 @ 144 mph. It rattled the tires so hard that people thought my head would fall off! I hard the bottom bar level to the bottom frame rail. Had moved it down one hole, but then noticed some other things wrong on the car from all the tire shake so I put the car in the garage until spring time. Bob J

Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Am i seeing things? 7200 at the hit? I can tell you this, that 16/33 CO7 broke more than i can mention to fix due to shake.

Posts: 1410 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not trying to intrude but, what air pressure you guys run on the 3080 tire and is it on small block and how consistent is it. I’ve been thinking about trying it on my sbc dragster. I run the 3074s now and it’s flawless

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
scoop,the new Hoosier 18372,15x33 C06 tire is as good if not better than the M/T 3080.I ran the Mickeys for years but tried the Hoosiers and they are great!

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What size rim did you run with the 18372 tire? I did try a set of the Hoosier 15X33 do5 tires. They rattled worse then the 16X33. Bob J

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
scoop,I run 15x15 @7lbs.The new 18372 is a totally different tire,stiffer sidewall which is why the Mickey works,also.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks