DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pistons for AFR 335
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistons for AFR 335
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I'm rebuilding my 540 bbc after throwing a rod. I was running an SRP piston with 36 cc dome on race gas (12.5 to 1 compression). Gonna be switching to methanol and would like to raise the compression to around 14 to 1 if possible. I called JE and they said the three bigger dome pistons they offer would likely run into a clearance issue based on the combustion chamber design of the cylinder head. Just curious if anyone has experience with big dome pistons on the conventional v2 AFR cylinder heads. If it's going to be an issue I'd probably just go back to the same style piston... let me know what your experience has been if you run these heads. Thanks

Posts: 20 | Location: MI | Registered: September 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You can use the same piston and angle cut the head. For every cc is worth typically .1 compression.

Those heads can be cut from their stock 117cc to 104 cc combustion chamber

You can also go zero deck, shorter head gaskets, or both.

Lots of options if no one makes higher compression pistons.

Massaging pistons that don't quite fit, blocks or heads, all about the same to a good machinest.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
If you have to use the same pistons, it should still pick up significantly. And I don't know if there is any detailed info published by knowledgeable engine guys, but I believe the "effective" dynamic compression ratio is higher running alky, because you are putting a lot more fluid into the combustion chamber then you are with gas. And fluid does not compress, so in effect it acts like a smaller chamber.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1041 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post