DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Duramax Oil Pan Leak, Considering Aftermarket Replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duramax Oil Pan Leak, Considering Aftermarket Replacement
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted
My 2015 truck recently hit 164K Miles. It has developed a minor oil drip, appears to be from the pan gasket. It leaves a spot about the size of a quarter on the driveway, (probably a single drop). I may try to snug the bolts and see if that helps for a temporary fix.
Has anyone installed one of the aftermarket pans with a flat bottom, that let you drain all the dirty oil out?
That OEM pan is probably my only real dislike about the Duramax. Great engine, and there is plenty of room for a pan that does not have a big concave relief in it, that traps a good amount of dirty oil. Idiot bean counters probably insisted they not have different pans for vans or whatever else they put these engines in. My guess is 90+ percent go in pickup trucks, and it is a really lame design.
Anyway, I am considering the PPE cast aluminum pan: PPE Black Aluminum Oil Pan for Duramax
Just wondering what pan you chose, how the install went, what you used for a sealant, and if it is completely leak-free afterward. Thanks.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1092 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
You shouldnt have any issue with it as long as you can get the cross member out and can work around the cooler lines.

I prefer to use Ford TA-31 gray rtv which is what a friend who is a heavy truck mechanic recommended a long time ago.

Posts: 148 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
never done one but the place i work for has a 15 also, 2500 4x4. It also leaked at the upper pan. Paid the dealer to repair it, I want to say it was about $1600. we have lifts and stuff at work but I didn't feel comfortable doing it at the shop, probably would have cost even more with me doing it based on the time @$150.00/hr.

Posts: 135 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I put a PPE pan in mine and no issues since. Heavy cast aluminum, holds one additional quart, flat bottom, and clears crossmember without issue.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1521 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim! Hope all is well.
I’ve never seen one leak? I’d take it off , clean then doo doo out of it, new gasket w/ small amount of the Right Stuff and send it.

No flat pan, there is a reason it has a sump. My opinion

220k on mine, no leaks anywhere.. now that I put it out there watch it start leaking!

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4629 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, thank you, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Wink
CAD and M802138, thank you both for your comments.
Hello Barry, hope all is good out your way, and I really hope you didn't jinx yourself! Big Grin
I would take your advice, but I really hate that the OEM pan traps half a quart of dirty oil that you can't drain out, so if I gotta do the work of a pan R&R, I figure on installing an aftermarket one that lets you drain out all the nasty stuff. I get what you are saying about the sump, but it sure looks like that relief in the stock pan was made to clear a crossmember in some vehicle other than a pickup truck. Dang it, now you have me wondering if it is there to keep the pump pickup submerged in oil, so it doesn't lose it's prime during oil changes... Eek

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1092 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post