Delay Box Strategies

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/7187088896

July 01, 2022, 09:25 PM
Curly1
Delay Box Strategies
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
This is one of those things where collecting data is king. It allows you to learn what your tendencies are.

I track all my runs in an excel spreadsheet and analyze the data to look for trends.

For example, when I first started racing, I would try to set up for 10 or better. After looking at the data I found that overwhelmingly the majority of my red lights were less than .005. So I set up for 15 or better and I have less red-lights.

I would rather be set up soft and be in the race then go .001 red.

Another thing is learning to access how you let go of the button. That is critical to making adjustments. So many times I have knocked .005 out of the box because I was a little slow the previous round, only to go less than .005 red.

Another thing I found for me, typically the later in the rounds I would get, my lights would fall off. I found as each round would go by, I would get more amped up, which for me slowed down my reaction time. I would tense up more which would cause me to have a slower release of the button. I could duplicate it on my practice tree. So I really worked at that mental aspect to try an not let the excitement amp me up.

Very true there, while I am not allowed to use a Delay box I do use a Just in time button to adjust my reaction. I tend to get more amped up first round, once I get past first round I settle down and relax and get more confident. Especially later rounds when I am in the money so sit back and do my job.
But is comes down to the last line of your post the Mental aspect of it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
July 02, 2022, 09:33 AM
Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
I add .020 for first round if I am .005 or better in my time runs, after that I adjust to be .010. If the car cooperates then I feel pretty good.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."
July 04, 2022, 09:44 AM
Mike Rietow
I guarantee this guy added 070 to the box.

I know him, pitted with him a couple years. Built engines and transmissions for him.

Tricks

I think this is the kind of strategies / Tricks, for sale with online memberships.

July 04, 2022, 09:52 AM
Mike Rietow
This is bracket racing 2022.

July 04, 2022, 04:34 PM
Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
Oh, so we are posting time slips?

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."
July 05, 2022, 02:47 PM
moparacer
Here is my "Redlight Ritual" I posted about just like the OP uses at work over the weekend.

11 rounds this weekend I had 1085 in the box....The other day I mentioned my kill number is 1080. You guys that race for a living go easy on me...No dragster or high dollar parts on my ****box....You can hardly read the numbers on my old mega 400 lmfao.

7/03
.022 knew I missed it again but tree was dropping on my side and didn't bump it. Guy in the other lane was .009 dead 1...

7/04
.021 Completely missed that and bumped it .03 lol. Got lucky and guy in other lane was .021 too. I could run the number and he couldn't.
.0005 RED lol. Think I took a small chunk.

This is what I was saying in my earlier post if I am off a bunch I wont move anything and hit it again. Even on the days when I can't seem to cut a light to save my life (seems to happen with regularity as I get older) I don't move it. Because more often then not I end up red as soon as I catch it.
July 05, 2022, 03:02 PM
Alaskaracer
When I'm bracket racing, I never change my delay...I leave it set where it's at. When I'm going on a pro tree I zero it out....done.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
July 05, 2022, 06:31 PM
Goob
Don't go red.

goob- with a green lamp and a good car, good things can happen.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
July 05, 2022, 06:41 PM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software:
Oh, so we are posting time slips?

That's a good race actually, spray and dump almost worked for him.

Almost
July 07, 2022, 10:16 AM
NortonRacing
That wasn't spray and dump, look at the incrementals.

High gear only....
July 07, 2022, 10:34 AM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by NortonRacing:

High gear only....

7.30 car spray and dump.

It's harder than you might think, to go that slow early in the run. Also look at the MOV (dragster 002 above with a triple zero light.

I can't imagine anyone would setup a light car, to go slower than Super Pro legal et's.

It's possible though.

This is high gear only 3225 lbs 23 sbc.

July 07, 2022, 10:40 AM
Lenny5160
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

High gear only....

7.30 car spray and dump.

It's harder than you might think, to go that slow early in the run.

I can't imagine anyone would setup a light car, to go slower than Super Pro legal et's.

Also look at the MOV.

It's possible though.

This is high gear only 3200 lbs 23 sbc.

It's a Super Street car bracket racing on the stop.

Tony Leonard
July 07, 2022, 10:44 AM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
quote:

High gear only....

7.30 car spray and dump.

It's harder than you might think, to go that slow early in the run.

Also look at the MOV.

It's possible though.

This is high gear only 3200 lbs 23 sbc.

It's a Super Street car bracket racing on the stop.

That I could see, but to go that slow early, it would have to be a 2.70 final gear in a light, light car to go 107 mph, high gear only.

Anyway you look at it, it's a good race. Almost worked.
July 07, 2022, 12:10 PM
1800gb
Not really....1.73 60ft.....109+ mph...400 sbc...over3000lbs...high gear only..deep staging....
July 07, 2022, 12:53 PM
Lenny5160
It's a Super Street guy. Scott Moore. On the stop.

Tony Leonard
July 07, 2022, 03:25 PM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:
Not really....1.73 60ft.....109+ mph...400 sbc...over3000lbs...high gear only..deep staging....

Bring a time slip that says July, 100 degrees in the shade.

Ripper Nova will go 111 - 112 mph high gear only in decent conditions 3225 lbs, from Oct to the first week in May.

Calling out numbers don't count, bring evidence > time slips.

Every claim I make I bring irrefutable evidence.
July 07, 2022, 05:07 PM
Goob
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
It's a Super Street guy. Scott Moore. On the stop.

Don't burst his bubble....

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
July 07, 2022, 08:48 PM
1800gb
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:

Bring a time slip that says July, 100 degrees in the shade.

Ripper Nova will go 111 - 112 mph high gear only in decent conditions 3225 lbs, from Oct to the first week in May.

Calling out numbers don't count, bring evidence > time slips.

Every claim I make I bring irrefutable evidence.
The post are not meant to be in competition,they are just stating most of this stuff has already been done and currently still being done....The time slips shouldn't be a problem.But time slips will not prove what car produced them.Everyone have a phone the will record video....How about some video runs with the time clock showing in the end....July video should be available....but it is not a 100 degrees in the shade....
July 07, 2022, 10:25 PM
Mike Rietow
Competition is not a sin. Cheating in competition is a sin.

Trust me I can go faster mph high gear only.

When it cools off and the track gets good, I'll let it all hang out.
July 07, 2022, 10:46 PM
Lenny5160
quote:
Competition is not a sin. Cheating in competition is a sin.

Trust me I can go faster mph high gear only.

When it cools off and the track gets good, I'll let it all hang out.

Maybe you need more tire if you’re waiting for the track to get good enough to let a 1.65 car “eat.”

Tony Leonard