DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dual carb question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dual carb question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Would there be an issue with putting 2 alcohol carbs of different cfm on a blower ? Thanks

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Probably....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4466 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
all of the air and fuel is pushing forward,interesting thought.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1413 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
How much difference? Blades / body / metering blocks etc?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
300 cfm difference both carbs APD. Curious if this would mix as it goes through blower or be a lean rich issue. Thanks for reply’s and thoughts.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thinking out loud,in theory the blower would pull from both for a total volume then push forward and exit the blower mixed and evenly.it would not be the sam as setting them on a tunnel ram. just thinking i have not tried it.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1413 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
do you use the pi plate under the blower

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Rusty no for now I running a small blower. Single carb when I bracket race but would like to try some top dragster now that Ihra is going to have some races. Depends on bump cutoff if I could even get in. Probably need to stage with rear tires HaHa

Jeff McClure

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think it could work but I would want to have O2 sensors on every cylinder to know what they are doing. Also since most blowers tend to push fuel towards the front I would put bigger carb on the back in hopes of helping to get more even mixtures from front to back. But you really will not know until you do it and blowers are hard on parts if they are lean.

As for staging with back tires I know someone who did that for a race in a Vega and got away with it for several rounds. Lol.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smokinjeff:
Would there be an issue with putting 2 alcohol carbs of different cfm on a blower ? Thanks

If both carbs are properly calibrated - no problem at all...

Mike Laws Performance

Posts: 33 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Laws:
quote:

Would you mind explaining that deeper? I understand there is trade secrets, but that is interesting. Ive had my hands on a few ron injection systems and when using a plate under the throttle body for nozzles, the nozzles are usually staggered front to back.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Laws:
quote:

Would you mind explaining that deeper? I understand there is trade secrets, but that is interesting. Ive had my hands on a few ron injection systems and when using a plate under the throttle body for nozzles, the nozzles are usually staggered front to back.

Overall AFR must be correct for either carbs or the Ron's setup. The nozzles are probably staggered to improve distribution and/or supercharger cooling, however the total area of those nozzles must also be adequate for proper AFR.

Mike Laws Performance

Posts: 33 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the blower grabs everything above and mixes it and shoves it ,where this would be more critical from carb or toilet to open plenum and runner line up

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Its 2023! Really these days 2 cars are simply over kill and not needed... Just making more issue for yourself...

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
Its 2023! Really these days 2 cars are simply over kill and not needed... Just making more issue for yourself...

Unless you are trying to step up your program I agree.
We’ve seen back to back testing , 2 carbs worth as much as 35 or more depending on the combo.
We had a front carb issue we were chasing in Pomona. 2021 or 2022. 1.980x2.300 4 circuit . Swapped out with one 3 circuit 1.950x 2.300. Problem cured…
Car was still fast and didn’t miss a beat.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
quote:

We’ve seen back to back testing , 2 carbs worth as much as 35 or more depending on the combo.
We had a front carb issue we were chasing in Pomona. 2021 or 2022. 1.980x2.300 4 circuit . Swapped out with one 3 circuit 1.950x 2.300. Problem cured…

If that was really the case .35? Every bracket car in the country would run dual carbs... I don't buy it at all.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
In the heads up and NA Comp world you get penalized for a second carb. Must be a reason. We to have seen 30ish HP between a very good single 4 and dual carb set up.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
quote:

If that was really the case .35? Every bracket car in the country would run dual carbs... I don't buy it at all.

I think he meant 35 Horsepower and not .35 ET.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sorry felas but I love my dual alky carbs little small block loves em made my combo way more consistant and about .27 quicker as I recall

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 407 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I did mean HP Curly. ( QUOTE], 2 carbs worth as much as 35[/QUOTE]
I’ve seen from 25-35HP On the dyno . We can ask Mike Laws. I’m sure he will chime in. It absolutely depends on the combo as I stated. Some combos are better off with one carb.

Raceless in California!