DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Bracket Racing A Small Tire
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bracket Racing A Small Tire
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I got the tires in yesterday. The tires themselves along with some inquiries give information to what the tire was designed for. They're made for Factory Stock & that's molded into the tire. They're recommended also for quick/fast cars on a small tire.

Thanks to a DRR member for passing along the information. They should be a good fit for my car.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You can't run those tires, you'll put your eye out !! Stop

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
BKing ,
Be very interested to see your results with those new tyres . I know GY also have a specific FSS radial . I find I cant get more than about 80 laps or so when i ran the hoosier 30x10.5 .
My home track is Sydney Dragway nice concrete 1/4 mile, but last couple years raced more at South Coast Raceway and Sunst Strip both 1/8 regional tracks but great hook . Like you west coast mid west racers these 2 tracks are 14hrs & 11 hrs drive respectively . Sydney doesnt get as cold as Vegas but can be as hot , was 108f & 110 grains of water 2 weeks ago .

Tex

Posts: 62 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex013:
BKing ,
Be very interested to see your results with those new tyres . I know GY also have a specific FSS radial . I find I cant get more than about 80 laps or so when i ran the hoosier 30x10.5 .
My home track is Sydney Dragway nice concrete 1/4 mile, but last couple years raced more at South Coast Raceway and Sunst Strip both 1/8 regional tracks but great hook . Like you west coast mid west racers these 2 tracks are 14hrs & 11 hrs drive respectively . Sydney doesnt get as cold as Vegas but can be as hot , was 108f & 110 grains of water 2 weeks ago .

Tex

I will try to remember to post them. I don't care if they go faster, but I'm pretty sure they will. I just hope they work good like all the radials I've been using.

I usually put 150 runs on our radials, but they have runs left on them; including the lightweights.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Wish I could run it that way at the bracket races but they no longer run S/Pro at bracket races.

What track isn't running Super Pro at their bracket events?

I can only recall hearing of one track being all No-Box, but that track is a long way from you.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3156 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Orig Relaxing inally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Wish I could run it that way at the bracket races but they no longer run S/Pro at bracket races.

I can only recall hearing of one track being all No-Box, but that track is a long way from you.

I think he meant 1/4 mile at our S/Pro races. He can run the 1/4 for the TnT but has to run 1/8th mile for S/Pro.

2BKING

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

Sorry meant 1/4 mile S/Pro..Hard to work on the stop set up not running 1/4 mile. Like impossible on a new car.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Well, what can I say; I like the new tire. After getting the car calmed down on them. They started showing some promise with repeating 60's a couple times & the variance narrowed down to thousands of a second from hundredths.

I'm not giving full credit to the new Hoosier tire, because we were starting to make headway with the M/T PBR. The plan is to race the PBR's next weekend to see how the work with the current suspension set-up.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Well, what can I say; I like the new tire. After getting the car calmed down on them. They started showing some promise with repeating 60's a couple times & the variance narrowed down to thousands of a second from hundredths.

I'm not giving full credit to the new Hoosier tire, because we were starting to make headway with the M/T PBR. The plan is to race the PBR's next weekend to see how the work with the current suspension set-up.

2BKING
Relaxing

We put the M/T tires back on for this past weekend races. The Hoosier tire set-up is working great for the Mickey's. The plan is to run the tires for another points race. Then mount up a new set for the Spring Fling Million race(s) in Apr.

I haven't given up on the new Hoosiers. I just have to calm the car down more on them. They're going on the back burner for now.

2BKING is grateful!
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Got the new set of M/T PBR's in today. Them things be heavy, M/T list them at 31 lbs.; I weighed them at 34 lbs. I don't really care, they flat out work great.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I usually run Hoosier 28x10 or 29x10 bias ply slicks. I mini tubbed my Nova and my buddy gave me a pair of 29.5x10.5 PBR's to try out. I was surprised they fit but they are on there.

I'll get out sometime this year to try them.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomR:
I usually run Hoosier 28x10 or 29x10 bias ply slicks. I mini tubbed my Nova and my buddy gave me a pair of 29.5x10.5 PBR's to try out. I was surprised they fit but they are on there.

I was lucky when I switched from bias slicks to radials, 10+ years ago. They worked with no issues with the same suspension set-up. Not everybody is that lucky when switching over. We have refined the set-up over the years for the radials.

I hope the switch is an easy transition for you. Please follow up with the results.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomR:

Your life will be changed for the better.

That tire has taken everything I can throw at it and hasn't skipped a beat.

I went radial slicks back in 2001 and never looked back. The PBR is the best overall bracket tire I've ever seen.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I like to configure my car to ET and MPH higher than what would be expected. Example, 7.00 ET and 102 MPH. So my car leaves slower than most but has good top end finish. My tire size is 275/60R15 M/T radial. I place more importance on getting a clean light (first) than running faster than opponent where HIS light (car leaves, roar of engine, etc) might be distracting to me. That's just how my brain works. For years, I've been in the 6.80 to 7.30 area and I've done very well using that strategy. 7.0 car won big, big $$$ at Bristol.
Been a bottom bulb guy forever. Don't like delay boxes nor do I like using trans brakes in FOOTBRAKE.

Posts: 83 | Location: Mooresville, nc | Registered: October 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Would like to try the Hoosier drag bracket radial. Anybody running them?

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 62Galaxie:
I like to configure my car to ET and MPH higher than what would be expected. Example, 7.00 ET and 102 MPH. So my car leaves slower than most but has good top end finish. My tire size is 275/60R15 M/T radial. I place more importance on getting a clean light (first) than running faster than opponent where HIS light (car leaves, roar of engine, etc) might be distracting to me. That's just how my brain works. For years, I've been in the 6.80 to 7.30 area and I've done very well using that strategy. 7.0 car won big, big $$$ at Bristol.
Been a bottom bulb guy forever. Don't like delay boxes nor do I like using trans brakes in FOOTBRAKE.

Do you have a grid in the car? This is a perfect example of its capabilities with the timing maps. Leave soft and ramp the timing in so it is more consistent off the line.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:

2BKING
Relaxing

I have a pair on the shelf, but they are so much larger than the "same size" 29.5 x 10.5 PBR, I cannot even get them near fitting on my car.
I mean I can't even fit them into the wheel opening enough to get near a stud.... Eek

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:

2BKING
Relaxing

I have a pair on the shelf, but they are so much larger than the "same size" 29.5 x 10.5 PBR, I cannot even get them near fitting on my car.
I mean I can't even fit them into the wheel opening enough to get near a stud.... Eek

I remember you posting that.

I can't fit anything bigger the 29.5 x 10.5 PBR. I would try one of Hoosiers 28" diameter tires, but don't like giving up the diameter. The radials I have now both M/T & Hoosier are true 30" diameter tires.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We run a the 30x10.5 Hoosier bracket radial and are very please with it.. It is on a 84 monte carlo with a LS weighting in at 3100. The run has run a best of 5.95 at Galot but normally is a 6.00 to 6.05 in warmer weather.

Posts: 2 | Location: Wilkesboro | Registered: January 06, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim333:
We run a the 30x10.5 Hoosier bracket radial and are very please with it.. It is on a 84 monte carlo with a LS weighting in at 3100. The run has run a best of 5.95 at Galot but normally is a 6.00 to 6.05 in warmer weather.

Thanks Tim!

What width rim do you have them on & do you know the section width when mounted?

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436