DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    painters on site?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

painters on site?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok this time its not for house pianters.GC by trade). Automotive painteres/ Getting ready to pull trigger on a devilBliss GPG spray gun. Good or bad comments on gun or better choice? All guns probably better than guy going to use it. ME. Probably better off paying for othere to do jio0b just not my nature and everybody who paints learned at some time. Si if you can do iut so can I.
\
Comments good bad or better for similar price range?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4466 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
HF Black Widow HTE. Get their cup system too. Lots of YouTube info for these. Add a nice in-line air flow adjustment with gauge and you'll be set. Don't buy mixing cups and strainers, that's built into the cup system.

Posts: 194 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have looked at HF stuff and seen videos. Only thing is everytime I try to save money bit bites me in a$$ in tripplicate.

Posts: 4466 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
I have no experience but I see a lot of positive comments related to this gun on some of the FB groups I am on.

Posts: 406 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just looked up this gun looks like a nice peice but as with all hvlp type guns 35lbs. max at the gun air pressure and 10-12 inches away from surface slow steady passes-practice on old panels or boards good luck

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 426 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Panels and b oaqrds. Hell Have 2005 Dodge with big holes in rear quaters that need cutting out patching and painting.A 1996 z/28 that has more clear missing than on car. Heck doubt even I cen f them up from where they are now. LOL

I do actually have 3 vehicles that need some sort of paint repair to practice on.Plus like freind said until the clear goes on Laquer thinner will wash it all off. He did custom paint job on hi funny car did not like design and did just that washed it off and down the drain.

Figure after doing Dodge,z/28 and fully stripping and fixing my 69 Panel and getting to point I can accept I will be ready to do dragster body.Heck buddy on another site did his fed ,mutli blues and candy colors and looked kick ass and was his first paint job on a car.

Thanks guys.

figure learning curve in everything and I will not be defeated no matter what it is.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The $9 purple gun from harbor freight is better then the talent of most people that are holding it. Anyone that doesn't paint for a living should get one for the projects they're doing. Seriously. I use them exclusively for all my primer work and throw them away after each big job. I also use them for spraying small parts some times on multi million $ cars. They are impressively good for the $9 price tag lol

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1087 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
May op for few cheapys for pratice on Dodge and old z/28. Likew said they are at point that I can notr fuc them up much. Ok maybe I can.LOL

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Whatever gun you end up with just make sure its as clean as it is when it comes out of the box if you are expecting it to be consistent when you spray with it. They all have their nuances in how they spray but if they are not clean all bets are off. Disassemble as far as you can with normal hand tools, clean every part to as clean as you can possibly get it, soak in lacquer thinner, scrub down with scuff pads, soak more, scrub more, rinse in clean thinner, re-assemble, flow lacquer thinner or reducer through it, check the sound it makes and the spray pattern it delivers with thinner or reducer before you waste your time and mix up paint.

Get 3M PPS system, they have disposable liners and filters built in to the cups, throw away after use. They can get pricey if you are only buying a few and a typical shop supply bag is 50 to 100 i think. Best thing I ever did on gravity flow guns, metal or plastic cups, tops and paint filters/strainers become a thing of hte past.

I grew up painting and fixing cars for a living but quit all that 25 years ago, my paint guns are 30+ year old satas and they spray fine. Keep em clean, if you spray primer or sealer through them make sure to clean the heck out of them before basecoat and or clear. Fluid tip size matters so if you get one sized to spray heavy primer, don't think it will spray clear and or basecoat well.

Posts: 429 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have Two cheaper guns for primers. Looking to get quality but not pro (since I am not) price gun. Thanks for tip about liner system.

I know can not over clean gun kind of like my othyer kind of guns.

I was ready to go with PPG but have guy at Nappa that I may be able to get equal or better at better price bu going thurew a buddy's shop name. Hey it all adds up.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a best gun out there to buy. Get one, start using it, keep it clean, learn how to spray with it, learn how to set material flow and pattern to your liking and paint until you learn how to do it right.

I'd caution you on spraying high metallic/pearl basecoats on your first go, they are expensive no matter what brand of paint you go with, and the pearls in today's paints are hard as hell to get to lay out perfect and not blotchy.

When you do spray make sure all of your materials match the temperature for the day you are spraying. Follow the paint manufacturer's instructions for flash times and recoat times as closely as possible. If you are spraying a high pearl/metallic blue as the base coat, you should do some spray out panels say large as a hood or door to ensure you get your pattern right and you are laying the base down smoothly without making it blotchy. Paint your test panels just like you intend to paint your car.

The only way to learn how to paint on your own is to do it. Only problem with that is it can get costly cause materials are so high. If you wanna test things out, pick your color, buy a pint of base coat and a quart of clear, if you intend to use sealer under the base coat get that too. Prep a test panel like you intend to prep your hood, and go to town spraying.

Posts: 429 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
What is a Hood? I have few projects to work on b4 tackling car. Not doing pearls of having metalic. The Blue has very fine metalic according to paint shop. So fine he had hard time get dwon close to it. The megenta had some too I thing, the yellow and orange do not and the dark purple does not. The magenta and dark purple are just outline stri[es I think 1/2 and abour 3/8 wide. Going to talk to lil brother about the ghost striped threw middle of yellow. He has done ton of ghost stuff and damn good at it.

I do have lil brother for info and abuddy that has body shop. Just getting as much info as can and hopefully pickup enough not to be washing it all off into floor and doing again.

Fixing few issues on panels now, Steering change from drag link to rack and pinion requires few changes and welding cpl. places so working on all of that. Luckily all is part of full body which rarely will be used and does not interfer with me getting runs in now.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The fine pearl/metallic (like the blue you described) will be the challenge....

If you don't lay it down properly when you are spraying, it will tiger stripe and or be blotchy. There's a ton of different techniques to ensure it lays down flat and even and not stripe or appear blotchy. Having the correct gun can help, but even if it's the BEST gun for spraying base coats for your buddy, it may not work for you because you don't use the exact same technique he does.

It's an issue on large panels with multiple overlapping passes to fully cover the panel you are working on. If blue is the primary color it will be the one you'll need to pay the most attention to. Thats why I recommend test spraying large panels so you can get a feel for how it lays down and what you need to do to ensure it is not striped up like a tiger when you are finished. Multi layer candies are harder, but I've seen single coat fine metallic base be a total pain to get right as well. The key is to get the material on the panel as evenly as possible without being too heavy or too light anywhere on the panel.

Humidity matters, I try not to spray fine base/metallics oh high humidity days/times.